SimpleNews [Closed]

chris2

• Administrators

It has a paged view for all news items, and you can navigate between news items far easier. See here: http://tomsterritt.c...php/SimpleNews/

From what I can tell, cleaner HTML.

Also you don't have anyone pestering you if you don't want to put a link back on and adding you to their "list of dicks"...

And you accused me of making vauge snipes not but a few months ago....

A requirement for a link back to the creator of any freeware is not uncommon, it is part of phpVMS as well. Have I pestered a couple lately about not having a link back, yes, but most often it is after they themselves have gotten upset about someone copying/using their own work without permission or attribution.

If you are going to re-write all my modules I hope you make the next one RealScheduleLite as that seems to be popular but has never gotten to a point that it satisfy's everyone using it.

• Like 3

Oh yeah I'm aware a link back for freeware is common, but I think it looks nicer when your site isn't covered in copyright notices/symbols and links directing traffic elsewhere. Felt bad for people with sites like that. Especially if they're being told to add more. :(

• Like 2

Good solution there Eddie! Although, I have no problem giving credit to Simpilot on the footer of my page. I don't see why that would bother anyone, unless the person wants it to look like they have done everything on the site?!

• Like 5

• Moderators

Heck! Even I have no problems giving credit to simpilot! People who have issues with giving credit is can be a d**k.

simpilot made the best damn add-ons', used his time to develop them and a credit is must! :D

Keep up the good work simpilot! B)

• Like 4

I thought this was supposed to be a fun hobby, it has just turned into people arguing and fighting all the time, you guys should really stop bashing each other, we are supposed to be a community that helps one another around here. What people wanna do with the things they create they can do with them, but if you have any problem with them, you should contact them in the PM, that is what it is for :).

- Edmundk

It's wonderful that you are happy to put copyright notices all over your website, however some people like to have a good looking website and I made this to cater for them as I don't mind writing code without demanding credit. If you don't like that I'm providing a solution for those people please discuss it amongst yourselves elsewhere :)

Back on topic...

• Like 2

• Administrators

funny how this is on the bottom of the html of all your templates - guess it is ok for all of them to have copyrights all over them,

Design by <a href="http://www.tomsterritt.com/phpvms" target="_blank">Tom Sterritt</a></div><!-- Linkback required by license -->

• Like 1

Oh, wow... I haven't made a skin in ages... :lol:

No, link backs on my skins were never mandatory - I added them and people were more than welcome to remove them (In many cases people actually asked me to put a link to my site on it - go figure).

funny how this is on the bottom of the html of all your templates - guess it is ok for all of them to have copyrights all over them,

Design by <a href="http://www.tomsterritt.com/phpvms" target="_blank">Tom Sterritt</a></div><!-- Linkback required by license -->

I think the Link back Required by License It referencing to the phpVMS link back.

And come on, sort it out, you don't own the idea of that news system, look how many non-phpVMS websites use a similar function in commmercial business! Don't cry over spilt milk and just get on with life! I don't see you complaining to those companies they have your idea of a news system?

All I'm going to say on the matter

Jon

• Like 2

• Administrators

@jon, the building, extending, or overall use of the news function is not an issue with me. If you look back through old threads about it in this forum you will see I have been asked to move the link, remove the link, and to extend the module, all without issue. I actually think SimpleNews is a rather nice extension to the phpvms system, I may even use it in the future, and after all it is governed by a visualidiot license so even I should be able to handle that.

The point I am trying to make, which it seems I have not been able to convey, is that when Tom has issue with what he referred to as "vague snipes" from me, (which were not in the open forum) he should follow his own direction. It is also amusing to me that he would put claim to not wanting copyright or links on anyone's site, why put one in his own work? This all stems from another post in the forum in which I reminded a user about the license for the PopUpNews module, but if you notice I did not say a word until they themselves made an open complaint of their own work being used without permission or attribution.

The work I do around phpVMS has been more of a hobby than anything, and yes, I do make a few extra dollars here and there that gives my kids the little extras they want. I have contributed to the core coding of the system, released many free modules, helped more users than I can remember, and donated to Nabeel to help pay for his server costs, for the most part free of charge and asking nothing in return. It just frustrates me that after being here for a few years why people find it necessary to try and find it necesarry to degrade both phpvms and my own work. A link back does help developers in their real world work, one of my latest projects has been for the real world Piedmont Airlines building a health and wellness tracking system (pdthealth.com) for which the connection came to me directly from the networking and attribution from my work here at phpVMS.

I also find it frustrating when users here on the forum find the constant need to put anyone and everyone down about anything they can, trying to be part of the solution instead of extending the problem will take everyone much further in life. Every developer, if they are a hobbyist, student, or professional deserves at least a little respect. If you disagree with something, explain why, don't automatically make it wrong just because you feel differently.

Unfortunately the open access to the web makes everyone a developer. If you go through the paid services forum you will find the vast majority of "professional developer" sites have either disappeared, restarted numerous times claiming "issues", or have complaints against them of taking money and not returning a product or service.

I will apologize to Tom for this topic getting to where it is at this point, if you would like to start another one I will rename, deprecate, and lock this one if you so request. (Once again doing my best to be fair to everyone)

No, link backs on my skins were never mandatory - I added them and people were more than welcome to remove them

It clearly says <!-- Linkback required by license --> in that peice of coding there, to me that doesn't look like you can remove the code..?

It clearly says <!-- Linkback required by license --> in that peice of coding there, to me that doesn't look like you can remove the code..?

If you go and see the actual source code (not the cleverly selected piece you see here) you'll notice it's all on a single line, with the comment at the end. How careless of me - perhaps I ought to rethink my commenting strategy. In addition, where do you see any mention of a licence for my skins? I have never released or linked to a licence when distributing my skins.

simpilot if you wouldn't mind I'd be grateful if this could be taken back to the original post, thanks. Should I start a new topic or do you have the means to move the replies? I think that's a feature of phpBB but I've never used IPB myself.