EU new website cookie law?

James142

Mwahaha I've done extensive research on this at work.

Fortunately, unless you're implementing Analytics code (or essentially anything that isn't strictly necessary to do what the user has asked) you don't need to request cookie permissions.

If you are doing more than basic login/remember me/requested features, you need to get permission (implied or otherwise) before storing those cookies. Don't just forward people to google - that doesn't count.

tl;dr - if you're using phpVMS as-is then you need not worry :)

(Also this was effective as of May 2011, and we were given until May 2012 to comply (in the UK, everywhere else should already be), so if you haven't already you best start now)

• Like 1

Mwahaha I've done extensive research on this at work.

Fortunately, unless you're implementing Analytics code (or essentially anything that isn't strictly necessary to do what the user has asked) you don't need to request cookie permissions.

If you are doing more than basic login/remember me/requested features, you need to get permission (implied or otherwise) before storing those cookies. Don't just forward people to google - that doesn't count.

tl;dr - if you're using phpVMS as-is then you need not worry :)

(Also this was effective as of May 2011, and we were given until May 2012 to comply (in the UK, everywhere else should already be), so if you haven't already you best start now)

I thought this law came into effect in 2012, not 2011. I gotta start reading things more carefully :rolleyes:

Also, if you are using phpVMS and you decide to use Google Analytics, are you required to ask for permission by the user or does it bypass the rule as you are using phpVMS?

Anything that isn't strictly necessary to perform an action that the user has requested requires approval.

As analytics haven't been requested by the user you'll need to ensure they're aware and approved before setting them.

(null)