Around the World Club, a flight sim challenge.

I'm currently in the process of putting together a concept for what could loosely be called a virtual airline, and phpVMS is the chosen backbone for it. Basically, the idea is that there is a club, where people can register as prospective members (prospects), and take part in an around the world flight challenge. The challenge comprises of 147 flights, taking in 80 countries around the world, with a variety of approaches, landing surfaces and environments. The idea is to get of the beaten track, and visit some of the less well known locations around the world. There is only one aircraft available for the flights, a Mooney Bravo. I may reconsider this though, and offer a couple of options, but with them all being single engine prop aircraft. Pilots are free to use whatever routes they wish on the scheduled flights, as long as they log them in the custom KACARS (thanks Jeff!) we have. There is no time restriction on how long it takes prospects to complete the challenge, and they can drop in or out as they choose. They are free to fly with VA's too if they want. On completion of the challenge, prospects become fully fledged members.

I would have to offer other challenges as time passed, so those who complete the first one would have something new to do, but that wouldn't be a concern for a while. I could do alternative circumnavigation routes easily enough when the time comes. I've been working on the website, and am making steady progress with it. I've added a phpBB3 forum, and still have a fair amount of work to do on styling and other features not yet added. You can see the work in progress here: http://www.aroundtheworldclub.co.uk

Any thoughts/ideas/opinions on the concept and/or the website would be greatly appreciated guys :)

Sounds like a great idea! The website is quite fancy as well. Just, like you considered already, I'd offer more airplanes.

Maybe some of the fsx standard cessna's (172) and the Raytheon Beechcraft b1900d. I flew around the world in the latter prop, but that was in flightgear.

And why not consider x-plane? That works with xacars, which is integrated with phpvms as well. It'll open op another "market" of pilots.

good luck!

• Like 1

Thanks Mischka.

I agree that the challenge could do with a choice of aircraft to fly with. I'll look into that and see what aircraft have the range for some of the longer legs. I never thought about XACARS for X-Plane and think that's a great idea too, thanks for that!

Thanks, I'm limited to grabbing an hour or two at a time at the moment, to get stuff done on the site. I'm hoping to be finished on the site functions, layout and styling in a couple of weeks, and then I can get all the content on. I'm probably about three weeks from launch, all being well.

• Like 1

I've added two new aircraft to the challenge, and pilots are free to choose any of them. They can mix and match as they please, or stick to one aircraft for the whole challenge. I think the pilots who stick to one aircraft may get an extra medal or something. I've had to be careful, as some of the single prop aircraft that are default with FSX don't have the range for some of the longer legs, so I decided on these:

• Beechcraft Baron 58
  • Cessna 208B Grand Caravan
  • Mooney Bravo

I may add to the list, but if I do the aircraft needs to be a single or twin prop aircraft, with enough range to fly the legs. I've also taken your advice Mischka, after a bit of research, and added X-Plane to the list of sims. I read elsewhere in the forums that the custom KACARS will work with X-Plane, with the use of XUIPC. I'm going to be downloading the demo version of X-Plane and XUIPC, and testing it out. If it doesn't work then I can fall back on XACARS. I managed to get a fair bit done on the site today, it's one step closer to launch! I've carried out a few flights so I have some data to work with on the site. It's getting there, slowly!

• Like 1

Well the challenge has begun! I posted in a few FSX related forums, and there has been some pilots join already, with a few racking up the hours already. I would like to invite you all to take part in the challenge, including any other VA owners and pilots, all are welcome! I've still got some final finishing touches to do on the site, but they are mainly cosmetic. I didn't plan on launching for another week, and I posted on other forums to gauge interest, and it's snowballed from there.

The link to the site is: http://www.aroundtheworldclub.co.uk

Hope to see some of you guys joining in, it would be cool!

Stuart

• 2 months later...