Alternative for Great circle mapper?

MrAmsterdam

Hi guys,

Do you know if there is an alternative to the great circle mapper by Karl Swartz?

I see that some of my pilots like to fly off shore and the GCM doesnt know these airports. Also when flying on Kai Tak, GCM does not recognize it and the map is gone.

Does google have anything similar? or is there another solution?

thanks for the help guys

Lucas

I don't have time to code it completely for you, but if you look on the forum you will find a thread about how to integrate GCMAP to your phpVMS install. In that code, where you see an ICAO being placed, you would have to figure out a way to inject the lat/long like I posted above. You might have to go fully over to ICAO+LAT/LONG as the format in order for this to work, but it will work if implemented correctly. If I find time next week, I will look at showing you an example but I'm pretty busy right now.

I don't have time to code it completely for you, but if you look on the forum you will find a thread about how to integrate GCMAP to your phpVMS install. In that code, where you see an ICAO being placed, you would have to figure out a way to inject the lat/long like I posted above. You might have to go fully over to ICAO+LAT/LONG as the format in order for this to work, but it will work if implemented correctly. If I find time next week, I will look at showing you an example but I'm pretty busy right now.

Ok thanks for the help..

AmMap works with an XML file containing the information to be displayed in Flash in the browser. It is a nice option, but as you didn't understand where to put the information I explained above, I'm guessing that creating a PHP to XML script is perhaps going to be too difficult for you. Not trying to be rude, but that's what you will need to do to get the information in.

The XML for AmMap would need to be pushed the ICAO and the Lat/Long for the arrival and departure of each flight, if you're up to it.

More info here:

http://www.ammap.com/lib/ammap/data/flight_routes.xml

http://www.ammap.com/examples/flight_routes

Yes, thats the one I use here: http://european.virtualairlines.eu/index.php/pages/destinations

Its pretty much like what some airlines use to show their routes to customers: click on an airport and it shows the flights.

To realise this I made a php script that "echoes" the contents for the xml file, cause it seems ammap cant read directly from php? At least it didnt work for me.

For recent flights you'd need a more flexible solution than what I did, but soon as you can write straight to the xml, or point ammap to a php file instead of the xml, you're good to go