PLEASE PROVIDE TUTORIALS

Sylvester

Quick question guys, i have a new template which was provided and when i extract the zip file there are 3 folders...cssmw, images and lib. I followed the directions and when i choose the new template as the default and vie it the css didn't kick in nor did the images so now where exactly do one put these folders. i changed the web address as directed to my own and still it doesn't show like it suppose to. It would be so much easier if there was step by step video tutorials for this software, it would increase sales but because it's very difficult for some to just install it's even hard for some who needs to create their own templates or even get help from others from the foundation up. I have seen many sites that uses phpVMS and their awesome. I am a Webdesigner and while i don't boast on how good i am there are issues we all run into if we want to be honest but to the folks that do not know and i have seen many posting requestion help and the responses that they got was not helpful at all. I love anything about aviation and i a Captain in real world Flying the Dash 8-400 and while this may be just a hobby for some it's foundation work as i would like to bring many young kids onboard with this software you have here. It has been well over a month now and i still haven't figured out how to get this software running the way it should, i ask should i build my own website and are there scripts that i can embed like html or what is it that i really need to do. Thanks in advance Guys.

Quick question guys, i have a new template which was provided and when i extract the zip file there are 3 folders...cssmw, images and lib. I followed the directions and when i choose the new template as the default and vie it the css didn't kick in nor did the images so now where exactly do one put these folders. i changed the web address as directed to my own and still it doesn't show like it suppose to. It would be so much easier if there was step by step video tutorials for this software, it would increase sales but because it's very difficult for some to just install it's even hard for some who needs to create their own templates or even get help from others from the foundation up. I have seen many sites that uses phpVMS and their awesome. I am a Webdesigner and while i don't boast on how good i am there are issues we all run into if we want to be honest but to the folks that do not know and i have seen many posting requestion help and the responses that they got was not helpful at all. I love anything about aviation and i a Captain in real world Flying the Dash 8-400 and while this may be just a hobby for some it's foundation work as i would like to bring many young kids onboard with this software you have here. It has been well over a month now and i still haven't figured out how to get this software running the way it should, i ask should i build my own website and are there scripts that i can embed like html or what is it that i really need to do. Thanks in advance Guys.

I think you should learn some basics in HTML, CSS and PHP before you embark on trying to amend the stock phpVMS install. There are literally thousands of resources available online, and bookstores that stock many related books. Modifying phpVMS demands that you invest some time in learning the basics, and if you can't be bothered to do that, then why should people hold your hand for you? That may sound brutal, but it needs saying. Go and use the many resources out there on learning the basics, come back once you have done so, and you may find people more inclined to help. You say that you are a web designer, I'm a professional web developer and the designers I know can all carry out the basics of styling a site up. They have to have some knowledge in order to design websites effectively.

• Like 1

Stuartpb i am not trying to become a pain in someone's butt, i think it was very rude of you to say what you did...i am a web designer but it has nothing to do with my knowledge of html, html5, javascript, css or php....i have been trying to get the software install for quite sometime i even trusted giving my password to one of the Advanced Members here to assist and he experienced the same problem i did and could not have figured it out. You cannot expect for everyone to be savvy like everyone else, however this is suppose to be a place of each one teach one but you have seem to misread or taken some offense to my post when i am not the only one has has posted this very same problem. I have no problem with paying to have a VA built for me but i would like to know how to go about installing and customizing myself for further references. if i offended you i'm sorry but think about what i am saying here.

Sylvester Moss

I.T & Webdesigner

http://www.solveitbahamas.com/

I stand by what I said. Skinning up a phpVMS website, and also modifying it, demands that the person attempting to do so has a basic grasp of HTML, CSS and PHP. As I said, there are thousands of resources available out there which can assist those who lack that basic grounding. If you want to take that as me being rude, then that's yor prerogative. I've only been back on these forums a short while, but I've noticed you spamming, opening new threads constantly for the same problem. This forum is built on hobbyists who enjoy using phpVMS, and like to offer help where they can. You cannot expect people to rush to your assistance, like this is a commercial product with a dedicated support team. Have some patience, take advantage of the down time and do some reading on the basics. Not everyone has the skills, but everyone has the potential to learn the skills, something that can often be forgotten when it comes to problem solving.

• Like 2

Listen Guys, i realize that a few of you are getting the wrong message and idea here, I have a fully functional VA. I had issues installing phpVMS not because of lack of knowledge but because of my hosting. I switched my hosting provider and i got it installed with no problems. I also mentioned i asked one of the Advanced members here to assist with the install and he was gracious to do so but he ran into the same problem i had encountered.

With that said i mentioned about getting help not for myself per-say I am really busy and so i offered to pay to have a fully functional VA built with all the mods,apps etc... I got a price and agreed and also agreed to give this person more than they asked for because i know the work that goes into Website building and writing scripts. I wanted to see how it would be handled in regards to assisting others who have had the same cry as many. We all need to understand that while some may learn from reading many others learn Visually.

So regardless of whether or not the software is for free there should be some in-depth tutorial as to how to install everything step by step even if you have different packages and chooses to sell Upgraded Versions. This is from a business perspective. A young man who join this group said to me that he asked for assistance before and got the same results, he also said that one of the Advanced members was insulting and rude to him as well. I ask you how are we suppose to teach and aid each other in their endeavors by insulting, acting that because we know a few lines of code we are better than the person who doesn't. I stumbled across this software and read up on it and the first thing i do is join the forums to see what's the advantages and disadvantages and what many rant about is true. So while me and you can write codes, program whatever it is that need be there aren't everyone who is bless to learn at our pace.

I learned this growing up in school, " When you want to learn something and test peoples support and love for what they do one must act dumb " I am an Airline Pilot here also i am Opening up a full school here in the Bahamas. I have 3 Virtual Airlines that i have other folks Managing which i built some years back. I also own a computer and Web Development company here on the Island and have many other skills that in posses so it's not me being dumb it's me coming at whomever with requesting help for the little guys/gals who are to afraid to ask.

Thanks and Enjoy your day Guys

• Moderators

OK so now i am going to hop in first the problem with not been able to install was a problem on your server as i looked at it and from the moment i created a single file(local.config.php) the whole server went in to an internale server error.

second ,both installs you are showing have nothing to do with phpvms. the first is showing a stock page for IPS i also have it as i use it for automated flights, second i see some boxes and with this i know that this site is working with vafs (this only requires basic html and some iframes) so totaly no phpvms install

So regardless of whether or not the software is for free there should be some in-depth tutorial as to how to install everything step by step even if you have different packages and chooses to sell Upgraded Versions. This is from a business perspective. A young man who join this group said to me that he asked for assistance before and got the same results, he also said that one of the Advanced members was insulting and rude to him as well. I ask you how are we suppose to teach and aid each other in their endeavors by insulting, acting that because we know a few lines of code we are better than the person who doesn't. I stumbled across this software and read up on it and the first thing i do is join the forums to see what's the advantages and disadvantages and what many rant about is true. So while me and you can write codes, program whatever it is that need be there aren't everyone who is bless to learn at our pace.

I learned this growing up in school, " When you want to learn something and test peoples support and love for what they do one must act dumb " I am an Airline Pilot here also i am Opening up a full school here in the Bahamas. I have 3 Virtual Airlines that i have other folks Managing which i built some years back. I also own a computer and Web Development company here on the Island and have many other skills that in posses so it's not me being dumb it's me coming at whomever with requesting help for the little guys/gals who are to afraid to ask.

Thanks and Enjoy your day Guys

Let's clear a few things up. Firstly, I wasn't being rude, nor do I think I am better than anyone else because I happen to know a few lines of code as you put it. I learned web development by practising and reading, the same way almost every other developer learns. Your opening of several threads for the same problem, and trying to veil it with c**k-eyed excuses lead me to post what I did. You may have narked those who could have probably helped you the most by doing so, to the point where they cannot be bothered to help you. You also seem to be ignoring the fact that this is a community based project, where we all have day jobs and family to keep (including Nabeel), and we will offer assistance as often as we feel comfortable with, or are able to do so. You are acting like a kid in a sweet shop, stamping your feet because you can't have a lolly.

Secondly, downloading and installing phpVMS demands that you have some prerequisite knowledge. If people can't be bothered to ensure they have that knowledge before attempting to install phpVMS, then why should they expect help? It's that simple. You are a prime case. Have you contacted your webhosts to see if the problem is anything they can assist with? Have you tried tracing the problem by means of the error messages and logs? Have you explored the resources already available on this forum and also all over the internet? Judging by your incessant posting, I would guess not. For your reference, here are a few examples:

http://stackoverflow.com/

http://www.w3schools.com/php/default.asp

http://www.homeandlearn.co.uk/php/php.html

http://www.goodphptutorials.com/

http://webdesign.about.com/od/servers/Web_Server_Management_.htm

This short list is by no means exhaustive!

You say (in another thread) that you want you want to show others how to use and modify phpVMS, but how can you teach anyone if they don't already have the basics in HTML, CSS and PHP? That would be an extremely difficult task, even for the best teachers out there. Also bear in mind that servers can come in many different configurations so providing a one video to cure em all tutorial would be impracticable.

I enjoy helping out where I can with other members, but as soon as people start spamming, and complaining about phpVMS, I dig my heels in and refuse to help. Why should I or anyone else jump to your beck and call? That is how you have come across, to me at least, and I suggest YOU have a good think about it.

joeri, I deleted the phpvms off of my server this morning....i am testing something else now for vafs which i have been using for some time now but have someone else running it. many post i posted came from other members of this site that were afraid to post what they wanted. I am letting David build a site to his liking with everything i mean everything on it including paid products that i will be purchasing. I don't have time to build the site however i had issues with the install as you noticed. I am not trying to be an a**hole here i was just asking for simple help for the guys who knows nothing about web development but would love to have a fully functional VA.

stuartpb, Listen by no means i mean to insult or distrespect you, this is not about you and i, i'm bigger than that and i'm sure you are too.....come to the Bahamas and have a few drinks and enjoy yourself. You are still missing what i am saying lol

Like i said you read me wrong and the posts were for other members to atleast get them started...I don't think most things are as hard as teaching someone to fly planes who is scared of heights but i won't say things to detour them from their dreams.....Wow.

Hmmm, I suppose both of you have some valid points, stuart and sylvester

I must agree with sylvester that the basic documentation for phpvms is far from ideal. Although there is something like a beginners guide to skinning, it doesn't really introduce the concepts of how the layout and templates fit together, nor the whole concept with the modules and the data classes. That hasn't anything to do with knowledge of a certain technology, its just not well documented, and sylvesters cry for a tutorial is understandable.

Having said that, I agree with stuart that a prospective VA-manager should put in some time to figure it all out by himself. Why I think that? Well, IMHO, there are way too many VA's out there for the simple reason it's way too easy to start one. This becomes apparent from the amount of VA's that just have the basic crystal template with a banner smashed on top, or a slightly modified obsessblue skin.

I learned phpvms the hard way, all by myself, and I'm a microsoft-programmer at heart: until I came in contact with phpvms I never touched the php programming language. Now I'm glad I did learn the basics of it :) I also think that I wouldn't have learned as much as I did if there would be more comprehensive documentation. It would have probably saved me a lot of time though :)

I don't think that stuarts comments were rude in any way, he just puts his thoughts on the table, or page in our case, and that's a good thing.

• Like 1

I'm not trying to deter you or anyone, but I believe you have to be realistic. You can't expect to jump into any PHP MVC based system like phpVMS without doing some preparation first. Much in the same way that a pilot cant fly solo until he has the necessary skills to be able to do so. Learning basic HTML, CSS and PHP are the first steps. I fail to see why that statement has insulted you? Its a common problem here on these forums where people download phpVMS, try installing it and then run into problems because they lack the knowledge or experience of the basics. Many here on the forums are prepared to help, but when those struggling start spamming and complaining, then patience can soon be lost, and often is. I don't want to get caught up in an argument with you (or anyone else), but I do stand by what I have said.

• Like 2