Forum Module

Tom

18 members have voted

1. 1. If you would consider switching, which forum would you want to import data from?

• VAForum
    • phpBB
    • SMF
    • IPBoard
    • Other (please specify in a post)

I've been saying for quite some time (probably almost 2 years) in the VAForum thread that it needs rewriting and that I'll do it soon, so I had better make a start.

I'm posting here to get an idea of what features people expect to see in a Forum module; what would make it worth using over an external forum such as phpBB etc.

My thoughts so far are based on being an update of the current VAForum:

• Admin in the phpVMS admin section
  • Permissions by pilot group
  • Board categories, visibility set by pilot group
  • Editable signature fields
  • Per-user timezone for post time display
  • Use of a WYSIWYG editor
  • Codes to display useful things (latest posts) elsewhere on the site
  • Indication of new posts/threads (possibly not enabled as default, potentially resource intensive)

So does anyone have any suggestions to add on to that? I'll be making a start soon.

• Like 3

Quotes would be nice too...

I thought it had quotes... either way it'll be in there :)

Also, you can create a system which will tranfer the posts and the topics from other forums such as SMF, phpBB, etc.

I may be able to do it but it'll be done after the release, it'll require a script for each type to convert tables.

• Like 1

The need to move posts accordingly ( category to category). Now the way it is, I think something is not right with trying to move posts. It won't allow to choose another category.

I think the way I'll end up writing it is that you can move or archive threads, and only archive individual posts. Archive essentially being delete, but the data is retained in the database for records, just not visible. Does that work for you?

Pinned threads would be nice! That was my original thought, couldn't remember it though.

Not too hard to do actually, could do it myself.

Evidently there are many more features I wrote into my own forum that aren't in VAForum. This will be in there :)

• Like 1

I think the way I'll end up writing it is that you can move or archive threads, and only archive individual posts. Archive essentially being delete, but the data is retained in the database for records, just not visible. Does that work for you?

Yeah actually that would work out. The move part is a concern. I have had folks posting in the wrong places and it gets a forum out of shape real fast.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...

No progress since my last post. Will possibly pick this up again if there's still interest. I've added a poll to the first post, please answer if you would be interested in this forum and would require data import from another forum. If you select "Other" please specify in a post, otherwise the import you need won't be built for ages.

• Like 1

Okay no problem Tom, thx for reply:)

I have modded and build some new code to your Version 2 of VA-Forum, it shows the 10 newest Post and Threads in the Forum Index. If it's okay I can post the code here to give you some developing support :)

I have a moderately heavily modified version of VAForum, from layout through.

Is this going to be a complete rebuild?

If the database structure hasn't changed then it should be alright.

Yes this will be completely different.

This is my code to add a table under the forum, it shows the 10 newest posts sorted by date.

You have to add it in forum_index.tpl at the bottom

<tbody>

<?php

$query="SELECT DATE_FORMAT (topic_dateupdated, '%d.%m.%Y at %H:%i:%s') AS date, topic_title, firstname, lastname, id, topic_forumid FROM forum_topics left join phpvms_pilots on forum_topics.topic_updatedby=phpvms_pilots.pilotid group by topic_title order by topic_dateupdated desc limit 10 ";

$list=DB::get_results($query);

foreach ($list as $flight)

{

echo '<tr><td width="10%"><left>'.$flight->date.'</td><td><a href="'.SITE_URL.'/index.php/Forum/get_topic_posts?id='.$flight->id.'&forum_id='.$flight->topic_forumid.'" > '.$flight->topic_title.'</a> </td><td><center>'.$flight->firstname.' '.$flight->lastname.'</td></tr>';

}

echo '</table>'

?>