New site!

I'm pleased to announce that SilverJet Virtual have launched a new look site! Still needs a few tweaks but the main is there!

Feedback would be appreciated, and new pilots are more than welcome! Help us become one of the greats in Virtual Avaiation!!

• 2 weeks later...

The Ryanair links have been sorted.

Also the corners differentiate so it gives something "different" which apparently you like, so contradicting yourself there...!

The staff page is a temporary set up for now, the base template is our main focus right now.

WHAT REALLY GETS MY BACK UP IS PEOPLE SAYING "IT NEEDS ALOT OF WORK" BUT THEY ALWAYS!!!! FAIL TO EXPLAIN HOW OR WHAT COULD BE DONE TO IMPROVE THE SITE!!!!!!!!

I'm completely new to this, have spent alot of money and had no idea about CSS and so on when I took on this project!!

The Ryanair links have been sorted.

Also the corners differentiate so it gives something "different" which apparently you like, so contradicting yourself there...!

The staff page is a temporary set up for now, the base template is our main focus right now.

WHAT REALLY GETS MY BACK UP IS PEOPLE SAYING "IT NEEDS ALOT OF WORK" BUT THEY ALWAYS!!!! FAIL TO EXPLAIN HOW OR WHAT COULD BE DONE TO IMPROVE THE SITE!!!!!!!!

I'm completely new to this, have spent alot of money and had no idea about CSS and so on when I took on this project!!

Well, that for a start.

Want details?

• Too many large curves IMO
  • There is little for guests to see
  • The header images are stretched
  • The login box looks out of place
  • There is an odd inconsistent shadow on the login box
  • The text on the h3 elements look out of place
  • Style is inconsistent on h3 elements; some underlined, some not, text position varies
  • There is a table at the bottom - is this latest PIREPs or what?
  • The table looks very plain and boring
  • The footer links don't work
  • Navbar links are difficult to click quickly
  • Navbar could do with a general tidy up

Looking good so far, from what you've done so far and being new to web development you should be proud of your work at this point, just keep in mind that people's taste differentiates from person to person. So don't expect to be able to please everyone ;)

Here is my tip:

• I wouldn't open the site until you have everything setup the way you want it, this is the most common mistake i see a lot of people do when they setup virtual airlines (myself included) because when you have a community established and go to make changes you disrupt operations and people get mad etc. And also having a half constructed site looks unprofessional. Its best to get it setup and be able to show what you can offer rather that what you intend to offer in the future, you'll be more appealing and also you'll have a test bed that even if you make a mistake adjusting the code you wont have a bunch of people down your throat as to why its not working... or setup a development site to test features before you add them to the site.

Will assist with smooth operations ;)

I wouldn't open the site until you have everything setup the way you way you want,

Thats the best bit of advice you will get. It's all very well having a snazzy website with all the bells n whistles, but if there isn't anything under the hood, pilots will leave pretty quick. Make sure everything works as it should, triple check spelling/typo's and your schedules are sorted, expenses, fleet painted and ready to fly etc. This way you should avoid becoming yet another 3 month start-up wonder!

• Like 1

Yes, as previously stated, I do like different. By different I mean a unique looking skin rather than having a standard layout with a few boxes containing things like news. If I was you I would change the corners of the nav bar so they both match. And I am not slagging of your efforts, it is a good website especially for a newbie but as Tylor Eddie previously stated "I wouldn't open the site until you have everything setup the way you way you want, this is the most common mistake i see a lot of people do when they setup virtual airlines (myself included) because when you have a community established and go to make changes you disrupt operations and people get mad etc. And also having a half constructed site looks unprofessional. Its best to get it setup and be able to show what you can offer rather that what you intend to offer in the future, you'll be more appealing and also you'll have a test bed that even if you make a mistake adjusting the code you wont have a bunch of people down your throat as to why its not working... or setup a development site to test features before you add them to the site."

And I certainly praise you for placing the site under maintenance until its completed. Finally, well done on your efforts, hope it goes when when its open :-)

• 1 month later...

That's definitely a vast improvement, although a few things I'd like to comment on:

• The F1 tour image seems a bit too big or too plain, maybe add a routemap or something with the logo in the corner, just so it's not just the logo that I see
  • On your statistics bit, I know it sounds stupid but, it looks like you're saying you have -5 pilots and -37 flights. I can see in the box above you use a colon, so I'd suggest using that in this box too, just to keep it all formatted the same.
  • You've got all the nice boxes with various information, and then squashed away is the recent flighst table, which is pretty bland and almost hidden away, maybe put it in one of the boxes, with a bit more padding/styling to freshen it up a bit?
  • The title of 'help us grow' for the donation bit sounds like you're going to use people's money to 'bribe' pilots to come to your virtual airline, I think it could be re-worded, unless that's what it really means, in that case, I'll definitely be joining :D
  • I think 'connect with us' sounds like a social media thing, rather than to do with joining/logging in
  • I am denied permission to see a page on the navigation bar for people who are not logged in (staff page), if I'm not allowed to see it, why is it there?
  • HUBS in in capitals
  • I'm shown the pilot transfer window and schedules, why do I need to be able to see that?
  • Same with events, why do I need to see that?
  • Same with link to XACARS - I don't need this if I am not a user, it'll just confuse me
  • Contact form/forum should be two seperate navigation links, rather than in one dropdown

Overall though, it is much better than the original,

Jon