(Dis)Advantages of joining on a VA Alliance

• Moderators

Hello to all of you,

Have you ever though of joining a Virtual Airline Alliance? Why did you joined it or why not? What kind of (dis)advantages do you believe that there are? We are thinking of joining a va alliance but we want to know more about how they generally work...

Servetas

Well actually i dont know what you think that virtual alliances do but for example our Member Airlines still are operating completely (100%) independent from each other.

What our alliance does is having events together and the VA's Support each other where needed.

Codesharing activities are not controlled by the Alliance but are established between the Member VA's if they wish to.

Via our alliance feed we offer our Member Airlines the possibility to invite pilots from all Member VA's to their events by only Posting it once (on the Alliance site). If the VA doesnt wish to invite the other members they are in no way forced to do so.

What we do is to support each other when it comes to livery design, website features and whatever else is needed. But only on request. And finally of course it's advertisement for the VA's since we display their schedules and live flights in our website.

As you see it basically is just a community where we can give and get support from our partner airlines, meet new people and enjoy our hobby together but never will it affect the independence of one of our partner airlines.

best regards

Manuel

• Like 2

Well actually i dont know what you think that virtual alliances do but for example our Member Airlines still are operating completely (100%) independent from each other.

What our alliance does is having events together and the VA's Support each other where needed.

Codesharing activities are not controlled by the Alliance but are established between the Member VA's if they wish to.

Via our alliance feed we offer our Member Airlines the possibility to invite pilots from all Member VA's to their events by only Posting it once (on the Alliance site). If the VA doesnt wish to invite the other members they are in no way forced to do so.

What we do is to support each other when it comes to livery design, website features and whatever else is needed. But only on request. And finally of course it's advertisement for the VA's since we display their schedules and live flights in our website.

As you see it basically is just a community where we can give and get support from our partner airlines, meet new people and enjoy our hobby together but never will it affect the independence of one of our partner airlines.

best regards

Manuel

My two cents are that ALL alliances start off like this. Somehow they all go downhill because they want to somehow take control over the VA. G1 is a great example of that but i wont go into any details on that. Personally i cannot speak much about AEOLUS Alliance. It is a new alliance and it seems great. I would say it has great potential. It was brought up in one of my staff meetings whether we should join or not. Wish you guys the best on the alliance. All i can say vDelta will be staying solo for now!

Thanks Vanity ;) You are right but from the experience we have made at G1 i must say the reason for alliances going down not only is that they try to take control over the member VA's but actually often is the VA's themselfes. I have noticed that the participation of some other VA's in alliance activity / discussion / votings is almost zero.

My point always was that if someone joins a community or group of other guys who share your hobby then you also need to bring the required amount of time with you. That doesnt mean that everyone needs to spend several hours a week with it but if there are votings and some of the Member VA's dont visit the Alliance site for 2 or 3 Weeks it's just unfair when all other guys have to wait just for you. I think its not too much to expect a representative of every VA to check for news at the Alliance site every few days.

Especially if your website is completely static like the G1 site plus the members arent interested in getting more involved it's very likely that at some point where you start to go down.

At AEOLUS we try to have the website more interactive by showing live flights as well as getting live statistics from the member airlines. Sure we will have more interactive features added in the future but we will also be very carefull to not touch the independence of our members with one of our features.

Another step to prevent AEOLUS to look inactive was to create our Alliance Events/News Feed wich gets embeded on the member VA websites and keeps all pilots updated about all Partner events and whats New at AEOLUS without the CEO's having to post it seperately on their sites all the time.

Finally we have a probation period of 6 months for new member airlines where we will look very closely at the VA's activity and participation within the alliance.

From my past experience i have noticed that most airlines seem to mainly see an alliance as service for them where they request stuff and then expect the alliance to do all the work for them.

Thats not how we work. AEOLUS is a partnership between all members and not a shop or a linklist. So if it's decided that something will be done we expect every member to help where they can. I'm aware of not everybody knows how to code modules or design graphics but then there are still enough other things where they can help....organising events, advertising the alliance or whatever new ideas come up.

If someone just wants to join for earning benefits and doesnt want to actively work with us then AEOLUS definately is the wrong place for him.

But if a VA looks for strong partnerships where we all work together to offer our pilots unique and amazing new features, to share events, to offer their pilots a wider range of available routes and aircraft types via codesharing, and to enjoy their hobby together with us then you are at the right spot and we are happy to welcome you on board. ;)

You guys forgot about Virtual OneWorld! http://voneworld.com/

I wont explain too much because i am quite tired right now but i will tell you that VOW will not follow the mistakes of a certain VA alliance. In all i think VA alliances bring a new depth to the VA hobby and i hope to see more successful ones in the future. Good night

• Like 1

My two cents are that ALL alliances start off like this. Somehow they all go downhill because they want to somehow take control over the VA. G1 is a great example of that but i wont go into any details on that. Personally i cannot speak much about AEOLUS Alliance. It is a new alliance and it seems great. I would say it has great potential. It was brought up in one of my staff meetings whether we should join or not. Wish you guys the best on the alliance. All i can say vDelta will be going staying solo for now!

Im not sure where you get your information but GlobalOne does not in any way seek control over our members. We have certain standards and requirements our member need to maintain however each member operates independently, we never invade our airlines independence. Any such suggestions are malice and show little knowledge of how our or any alliance operates (as far as I can tell we never had any official dealings with your va so I dont know how you can even claim to have inside knowledge). GlobalOne is currently the longest and most successful operating alliance, Im sure opinions may differ but we have been operating since 2006.

Other organisations have copied many of our operational structures which we pioneered. Whilst we had our problems in the past, these have been worked through a rigorous restructuring process. GlobalOne is and remains the longest and most successful currently operating alliance.

Im not sure where you get your information but GlobalOne does not in any way seek control over our members. We have certain standards and requirements our member need to maintain however each member operates independently, we never invade our airlines independence. Any such suggestions are malice and show little knowledge of how our or any alliance operates (as far as I can tell we never had any official dealings with your va so I dont know how you can even claim to have inside knowledge). GlobalOne is currently the longest and most successful operating alliance, Im sure opinions may differ but we have been operating since 2006.

Other organisations have copied many of our operational structures which we pioneered. Whilst we had our problems in the past, these have been worked through a rigorous restructuring process. GlobalOne is and remains the longest and most successful currently operating alliance.

Like i said i wont go into any details but i will tell you this, its one of your own VA members who is telling this to the whole community. Now i dont have to have official or unofficial dealings to have inside information about your operations. Whether your operations are good or bad the whole community will find out. What they tell will reflect on how great of an alliance you guys are regardless of what you have pioneered, or how many years you have been in operations.

just my OTHER two cents :P

In my opinion, virtual One World rocks, very friendly and close relations between all the VA's. it also

opens up new doors for new opportunities to be more exciting yet relaxed.

All-in-all, it's a win situation there =)

I was under the impression that virtual Oneworld was for VAs simulating airlines who are members of Oneworld, but I see there's a Jet2 Virtual there.

In my opinion, virtual One World rocks, very friendly and close relations between all the VA's. it also

opens up new doors for new opportunities to be more exciting yet relaxed.

All-in-all, it's a win situation there =)

This is still funny considering you werent so happy with them not that long ago. I wont go into details of this but will say...hope the relationship lasts! ;)