Disabling manual PIREPS

Kaspars

• 1 month later...

While removing the non-bid link may sound like a good idea, I don't think completely disabling manual pireps is a good idea. What if something goes wrong mid-flight with the kAcars? Happened to me often enough... kacars isn't the most brilliantly written piece of software, and you shouldnt punish your pilots or yourself for wasting pireps due to kacars mucking up :)

just my 2 cents...

kacars isn't the most brilliantly written piece of software

I'm not a coder so I couldn't comment. All I can say is that after a month of using it neither my pilots or me have had any issues. The same cannot be said for Xacars, which craps out far too often. It is not my intention to prohibit manual PIREP's until I have a stable payware ACARS prog. If the ACARS prog fails then pilots can always email me their PIREP. :)

Tbh no acars program is immune to crapping out. But kACARS is by far the best freeware acars prog out there. What would be better instead of disabling manual pireps altogether would be to say only use it if you have absolutely no other option, such as internet going down for an extended period of time, and they are bored and decide to fly, they can record the details and file the pirep manually then when their internet comes back online

• Like 1

Tbh no acars program is immune to crapping out. But kACARS is by far the best freeware acars prog out there. What would be better instead of disabling manual pireps altogether would be to say only use it if you have absolutely no other option, such as internet going down for an extended period of time, and they are bored and decide to fly, they can record the details and file the pirep manually then when their internet comes back online

exactly! even if the internet works, there might be problems with the VA website or some other reason why acars can't connect.

Or, if your pc shut down midflight and you resume from a save-file, there's no way kacars will cooperate.. you'd have to file manually.

acars is all very handy but I wouldn't want to miss a pirep because of it, even when filed manually. That's both for me as a pilot as well as from a VA perspective

Thanks for the input guys, it's appreciated. No decision has been taken yet, the matter is still being debated. I just needed to know if it was possible and how to do it. Thanks Sava. One pilot has suggested keeping the manual option available but to "fine" pilots that use it!!!

• 4 years later...
  • Administrators
4 hours ago, LuxuryCEO said:

how would you fine them???    ive a pilot from greece thats done it twice in one day  need to stop the issue

Make sure your operations manual states that pilots need to use the automated system to file PIREPS. Also state that manual PIREP submissions will only be considered with a valid reason listed in the comments section and that manual PIREPS will not continuously be accepted. Then when the pilot continues to submit a manual PIREP - just reject them. Sooner or later they will start submitting manual PIREPS. 

All that being said, in over 3 years, none of my pilots has ever submitted a manual PIREP without contacting me first. Honestly, it's easier to use the automated system - unless your not being truthful about your flights.