Onslaught Of Registrations

simpilot

• Administrators

I have been experiencing an onslaught of registrations from members with names in all capitals that all resemble each other on a number of sites I manage. I am not completely sure what they are up to but I do not think it is anything that would be considered beneficial to your virtual airline.

They most prevalent seem to be:

ADEREMI MARTINS BELLO

OLUJIMI EZEKIEL FATIMIRO

NURAIN IDOWU BELLO

LATEEF AKINOLA IBRAHIM

IGHODALE NELSON OKHADE

YETUNDE O ADIATU

IGHODALO NELSON OKHADE

TEMIDAYO PAUL AMOSUN

SUNDAY RACHEAL KOLO

AL MUNIRU AJIBOLA OYELOLA

They all register with various VATSIM id's, none of which are legit, various hub choices, and various countries.

As fast as they are deleted they are registered again. IP blocking is useless as they are using proxy services or spoofing.

Most sites also get a response to every email sent to the pilot, ie - the registration and approval notices. Most of the responses are just a copy of the email that went out, but some do include the classic "THANK YOU SIR!!!"

I have yet to find any of them trying to gain access to the sites beyond that of a regular user.

If anyone else is experiencing this and has had an issue with site security or some type of exploit used by any of these users please share it with the community so we can apply the proper patch to avoid any future issues.

• Like 10

I've had a weird issue one or two weeks ago, where I would get an email from phpvms saying a new user is registered. Upon checking the admin section and the pilots table in phpmyadmin, the pilots specified in the mail were not present. Also, my website statistics did not show any trace of a user registering at that hour.

very odd!

for one strange reason it seems also depend on used skin a bit?

I used to had such registers in past since I use my own skin nothing

but have to say each register is proved against stop forum spam

That'd most likely be because when using the default or a common skin, the bot will automatically attach data to the class or ID of a input - for example for the default skin they might get all inputs with the name "firstname" and insert some spammy thing there, "lastname", and so on. With a custom skin, most likely the names of these fields will be different, therefore failing the automated bots.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...