Issue on kAcars_FRee

avp

I have the latest version of the client and the module installed. I have noticed that there is a pending issue that has never been fixed in the client application that has to do with usability (user feedback).

When one presses the Login button to login to the server it may take some time but since there is no feedback that something is happening, the user will most likely (I do) click again on Login because you don't see anything happening unless your server responds very quickly.

The usual pattern for handling button events in Microsoft .NET is:

private LoginButton_Click(object sender EventArgs e)

{

Button btn = sender as Button;

btn.Enabled = false; // doing some work, prevent user from clicking again

: do some work (i.e. attempt to login to server)

if (login_successful == false)

{

btn.Enabled = true;

}

}

So, if login is successful the button remains disabled (unless it becomes a Logout button but I don't recall that being like that in kACARS). If it fails then we would reenable the button so that the user can retry. In the meantime while attempting to login, we disable the button to prevent the user clicking on it and generating another login event.

Of course, this is assuming you are using a synchronous call in the Login button Click event handler. If you were using an asynchronous call the button would remain disabled until the async call times out or returns a result indicating failure to login.

Would be nice to see that implemented in the next release as some servers may take a while to respond.