Trouble translating

Toyuko

So, i started to translate JAL Virtual's site to Japanese, translating my skins .tpl files to Japanese in Dreamweaver, i planned to do the same for phpvms base .tpl files. But of course i wanted to test it out first, so i translated my core_nav, and live flight .tpl files uploaded them and got not Japanese Characters but all out random "@56vvv". Why is this happening? I am using Firefox and i have a Japanese language pack installed on Firefox and Windows.

Screen of the issue (yes you get to see my new site) and yes i know the nav bar is not placed properly.

Dreamweaver image on the right, result on the left. This is what im getting on the other pages i translated too.

vol2M.png

Guest lorathon

1. Make sure that the characters you want are actually being populated into the DB Table correctly. You may need to change the character set on the table.

2. You may need to change the character set on the site. There is a "PAGE_ENCODING" variable located in the local.config.php file. This may need to be changed.

1. Make sure that the characters you want are actually being populated into the DB Table correctly. You may need to change the character set on the table.

2. You may need to change the character set on the site. There is a "PAGE_ENCODING" variable located in the local.config.php file. This may need to be changed.

I tried point 2 the "PAGE_ENCODING" variable, it didnt work even with the "ISO-2022-JP" code. Option 1 i have not tried but i know for sure it will be a pain to do. I am pretty sure PHPVMS supports other character sets than Latin but how is the question, there should be a guide made.

Does anyone know of any phpvms va's that are not using Latin character sets, like Arabic, Cyrillic, Chinese, Korean, Japanese?

Thanks

Guest lorathon

You need to check the DB. It is really not a pain. Just a bit of trial and error.

Example - We use utf8_unicode_ci for the name column of the airports table. With also use "UTF-8" for the "PAGE_ENCODING". With these settings we get the following to display just fine. This was not so with the default install.

Ørsta-Volda Airport, Hovden

Sogndal / Haukåsen

Åódź WÅ‚adysÅ‚aw Reymont Airport

Şanlıurfa GAP Airport

I am not sure how to get the character set for Japanese, but you should be able to do it either with one or both of my suggestions.