Work flow and software?

piper338

Hi guys,  I just wanted to get some opinions on what would be the best work flow for website creating with php & mysql.  It seems like my current way of doing things is very inefficient, I currently use dreamweaver and usually just copy and paste to my Cpanel for some reason I don't like the FTP stuff with dreamweaver.

I also watch one of the tutorials looks like .net was being used in it?  I think I am looking for the best way to edit locally and upload everything after I am done.  I have used WAMP in the past, but it didn't last long.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Chad C.

• Administrators

There's a few IDEs you can use.

If you're looking for something for free, Netbeans is great. There's an add-in which connects to FTP. Its code completion and and syntax checking/highlighting are good too.

I prefer using Visual Studio with the PHP plugin, but it's payware.

http://jcxsoftware.com/

It's not too expensive, but works perfect for me, since I can just scp/ssh into my server and work (I don't use FTP), which makes it quick. I don't need to worry about uploading, I just save it and poof, it's live. For design and stuff, I do it mostly by hand also, in this same editor. The add-in is all inclusive. I've tried Netbeans and Zend, but I just prefer how the VS editor just works (little things). I'm also used to it since I've been using it for years.