LCC or Private Jet charter?

I'm not looking to claim the cliché “unlike any other VA!â€, but I would like to build something that's lacking in the virtual world. I'm split between two ideas: a fictional low-cost carrier or private jet charter?

Option 1: There's a lot of really nice and professional VA's out there based on real airlines, but when it comes to the truly 'virtual' VAs they all seem to turn into an "anything goes" mega-VA. This VA would be California based, operate the B737-700 and -900, and focus on aeronautical competence, proficiency, and accomplishments rather than just build a logbook to nowhere flying everything under the sun.

I even have a working paint job for you to critique:

newcolors.png

Option 2: Fictional again, but based on a business model like NetJets or XOJET. There's hundreds of airlines out there but I have seen very very few private jet charter VAs. Is this due to a lack of interest or is this a hole that needs to be filled?

• Like 1

Hey,

I had similar thoughts myself when I was looking to find a role for the then under development but unnamed Reach Airways. I had similar thoughts in that I was not interested in a mega VA flying everything in existence but rather limiting the fleet to a handful of types suited to each role.

A low cost airline on its on in the VA sense does not have anything different to a full service airline. You're still flying to a schedule on routes in an aircraft type, only perhaps with a more limited fleet. I have always been interested in exploring new destinations off the usual beaten track and Reach as such was established with the idea of being a low cost holiday and charter airline focusing predominantly on unusual destinations with a handful of trunk routes to sate those who prefer them. To this aim we have only three types; a regional, a narrow body and a widebody to serve our needs. Whilst our charter system is still not yet ready, the aim remains to keep that element of exploration going in sim.

Whatever you choose to do, be sure that is something you enjoy rather than doing something you were told to do. Also ensure that you spend enough time developing your airline before you announce it to the community. Reach has been in development since September 2011 and whilst it started flying a year later, we are still not at a level where I feel its worth announcing the VA to the main sites until we have our full experience ready.

One final note, it does well to grow your VA realistically. Establish early on a ratio for aircraft to active pilots and use timed schedules to make your operations more accurate. We have 52 schedules though many are frequencies to common destinations and only 8 aircraft. Airlines that start out with two pilots, 100s of aircraft and thousands of routes really detract many from my experience as you will end up with very limited use of that overwhelming number of options. Instead let your VA grow with your pilots, its much more rewarding (and realistic) in the long term.

Best of luck with your VA though, I like the livery.

Option 2 but choose your aircraft carefully. I run a small VA flying Citation Mustangs only. And only in Europe. It's based on a real company called Blink

www.blink-virtual.com

100% agreed. My first virtual airline was based on the operations of LEA and their fleet was extensive, but little of them had simulator counterparts which were any good.

Jon

If I go with the biz jet idea I would only select planes that had a quality freeware model plus a payware counterpart, specifically the C750. Just started playing with that and can't put it down! As far as schedules and ACARS, what do you guys do? I saw this new open-source ACARS that was posted here in the forums but if I read correctly it can't do charters.