This is any easy way to transfer tons of data?

TennShadow

Hi Nabeel or anyone that knows. :P

I have a ton of data that needs to be brought over from VAFS.  I've got everything in Excel so I will be able to format it as needed.

I have over 200 aircraft, 500 airports, and 3400 routes.  I really don't want to do this manually if at all possible.  I did find the route csv template and I'm working on that but I'd like to know if there would be a faster way to import the aircraft and airports?  Perhaps in one quick swoop.  Maybe somehow through the DB? 

Thanks,

Keith

• Administrators

Wow, that's quite a bit.

Do you have phpMyAdmin? For the aircraft, you can use an sql import file, you'd have to format the data. I'm not sure if it takes csv. But that one you might have to do manually =

If you look online, there might be a csv to sql generator, and you enter in the sql columns, and the  csv format. I'll take a look

The airports, when you do a schedule import, it will try to automatically add the airports. But it might time out, so just keep running the import until it completes (it will pick up from where it left off/failed). There the template csv for the schedules in the import section of hte admin panel, just use that format

Yes, that is a lot.  I wish we didn't have so many but I'm not the owner of the VA so I don't have all the power.  I'm just the IT gopher boy!  ;D

Let me see if I got this straight.

If I use the schedule import it will try to add the airports for me?  If it times out just import again.  I'm assuming this will not cause duplicates?

Yes, I have PHPMYADMIN.  I'll see if I can find the csv to sql converter.

Thanks for your help Nabeel.

• Administrators

Yup, it might time out because it takes some time to retrieve the airport from the api server, so if you can adjust the timeout on the server it might go in one shot, but otherwise, just hit refresh till it's done. In another tab, you can open the airports list and you'll see them populate there.

Try this out

http://www.codewalkers.com/c/a/Database-Code/CSV-to-SQL-convertor/

Thanks.  I think you are talking about the one that adds the Airbus and Boeing models.  I started using that one but had to stop when I got to other planes.

I used the one Nabeel linked to and it work with one tweek.  Since CSV uses a comma hence the name I would have assumed that script would work but it didn't.  The script on the linked page ends semi-colon instead of a comma.  When I replaced all the commas it work wonderfully.

Thanks for all your help!