Which Version Of PHP Should I Learn

Guest N402KC

Guest Brian

Now that I've got all my .NET Programming Language covered and Mastered, Im ready to start learning PHP. Tomorrow Im going to Microcenter and picking up some books.

Which type of programming should I learn? OOP, Standard?

Let me know.

• Administrators

Now that I've got all my .NET Programming Language covered and Mastered, Im ready to start learning PHP. Tomorrow Im going to Microcenter and picking up some books.

Which type of programming should I learn? OOP, Standard?

Let me know.

Any OO stuff you learned in .NET should directly translate to PHP, in terms of static functions, public/private/protected classes. All those things. PHP books, I'm not sure. I always used the PHP manual. What I learned in C++ had pretty much directly translated to PHP.

What would be more useful are learning design patterns and conceptual things. Syntax differs, but conceptually things remain the same. Important ones are factory, singleton, abstract. Some design methods like MVC and HMVC are also important concepts. Most frameworks are based on the front-controller MVC format, including Codon, which phpVMS is written on. It's MVC with a front-controller (MainController), which then routes to subcontrollers (modules).

http://en.wikipedia....uter_science%29

• 3 weeks later...

You really have to know the php language before applying it to any sort of OOP.

If you try to learn OOP as you go along, it can get confusing.

Once you know the php syntax, you can then apply it to OOP.

I recommend php/mysql for dummies by Janet Valade, that's where my journey started.