Creating Downloads for my users to access

Nacman

Using latest Dev build and php8.2 also using disposable basic

I am having trouble creating downloads and having the "Downloads" menu item show the files or pages.

I went into pages/links in admin menu. created a downloads link entry. I had a folder I created called downloads off public_html. Inside of downloads I created another folder called vmsacars and placed ACARS.ZIP in there.

That created a second menu item called "Downloads" no what I wanted, but it still did not show the files. Instead a 403 error.  SO I deleted that entry in pages/links, that got rid of the second downloads menu item, but now the original one is showing a 403 page.

Not sure I follow the logic and can get it to work.  Should I have selected page instead of link. If I selct page, what do I put in the entry box?  If I select link, what is the link? A relative URL or the whole  fully qualified domain link like (easternairlinesvirtual.com/downloads/vmsacars)  

I am feeling stupid as I can't quite catch on yet.  The instructions are vague enough for me to not catch on. Sorry.

-Nacman

• Administrators

Is this only for vmsACARS download (for now)?

Did you put the contents of the public folder in public_html or leave those contents in public folder in the phpvms7 folder?

In /public or /public_html (according to how you installed) there is, by default, a folder named /uploads/files. Go to /uploads/files and create a new folder named /acars. Upload your acars zip file to this location (.../uploads/files/acars).

In the admin panel (assuming you installed the vmsACARS web module correctly), go to addons, VMSAcars.

Under "Link to the ACARS download" enter /uploads/files/acars/<filename_of _your_acars>

In the Dispo theme - Docs & Resources, Downloads - you should now see your acars download.

6 hours ago, ProAvia said:

Did you put the contents of the public folder in public_html or leave those contents in public folder in the phpvms7 folder?

I put what was in the /public folder into the root of my websites (home/eastern/public_html) folder

All the other files and folders for phpvms are in a folder off the of the hosting root (home/eastern/phpvms)

I did leave the public folder intact in phpvms as you can see in the snip.  Do I need to delete it.

I tried both the /public_html/public/uploads/files/acars/ACARS.zip

and                   /phpvms/public/uploads/files/acars/ACARS.zip

Placing those paths in the ACARS section in the module.

I get a 403 Forbiden and the url is https://easternairlinesvirtual.com/downloads/

I am of course logged in and chosing the downloads menu item.

dirtreeCapture.JPG

So I got it working but not in the way you described. First, for house cleaning I delete the public folder in phpvms since during the intial install of phpvms I placed the contents on the public folder into /public_html

When I dleted the public folde, the site still ran. Still getting a 403 error when I click on downloads from the menu bar

Then I added a link to /uploads/files/acars/ACARS.zip in the "pages/links" section of config (see snip)

Now in my menu I have Downloads, still gives me a 403 error, but I also have phpVMS Acars client show up. If I click that link, it downloads the ACARS.zip file.

How do I fix the Download menu item giving me a 403 Error.

There is no link in the VMSAcars section any longer either.  I would prefer to get the Downloads link working again and have it show up there.

Ideas?

Capturelink.thumb.JPG.3c67cc2f5b6e3fb605d2860dec2d2862.JPG 

So, I decided to make a full backup of site. Deleted it, restored previous backup before I started messing with ACARS downloads.

403 error now gone when you click downloads menu item.

Made my edits and now back to normal. Backing up again, will attempt adding file the way it was expressed here and see what happens.

-Nacman

Edited by Nacman

8 hours ago, ProAvia said:

In /public or /public_html (according to how you installed) there is, by default, a folder named /uploads/files. Go to /uploads/files and create a new folder named /acars. Upload your acars zip file to this location (.../uploads/files/acars).

In the admin panel (assuming you installed the vmsACARS web module correctly), go to addons, VMSAcars.

Under "Link to the ACARS download" enter /uploads/files/acars/<filename_of _your_acars>

In the Dispo theme - Docs & Resources, Downloads - you should now see your acars download.

After restoring my site, getting my edits back the way I wanted for now, I backed it up and added acars module. then I followed your direction to the letter and it WORKED!!!

Thank you!

-Nacman

• Like 1