Migrating Database

4JSL

Good Morning Folks. I currently have my VA linked to a 2GB database. Its currently 1.2GB full, with nearly 4000 PIREPs, so I want to start making a plan for adding some space. My current hosting provider limits their Databases to 2GB and you are not allowed to go any higher, even if you offer to throw money at them, so that's a shame that I can't just scale up the existing one. There is the context, so my question is this;

If I completely export my old database and then import a carbon copy to a new location, how do I go about, in phpVMS 7, pointing it to the new database, which will be externally hosted from the core site?

Any advice, tips or a step by step guide of any config changes or files to change would be awesome! I would really appreciate the help. I think I am going to get a scalable database with DigitalOcean, so I can scale up or down as and when I need. 

Thanks in advance for your time reading and responding.

James

FlyLumo

Export/import is only two steps, which can be done easily via command line interface (aka command prompt) of the server or via your web based / graphical sql workbench. I would prefer using the command line interface (CLI) if possible, it is much faster and practical.

// Exporting a DB
mysqldump your-database-name-here > the-name-you-want-to-use-for-the-export.sql

// Importing a DB
mysql -u your-db-username -p < the-name-of-the-dump-file-you-exported.sql

For GUI / workbench solutions you can find lots of guides (even videos to watch) via Google, your current hosting may have one matching the tools they offer. Using a GUI solution may be slow and risky due to timeouts, upload limits etc, therefore you may want to export each table separately and then import one by one. Takes time and effort but works.

Editing the settings/config of phpvms v7 is again a one step task, just change the database server/user details in your .env file, save it, done. Nothing special needed except cleaning the application cache for the changes to take effect.

Just be sure the database solution you are going after is allowing external connections and properly configured for it, you can (should) test it beforehand with a new/fresh install too to see it works and performance is acceptable for you.

Good luck

• Thanks 1