Adding division search to schedules

scottjgd

So what I am looking to do is add the ability to search the schedules by division. Our VA uses divisions to distinguish flights in the schedule as follows: CCC-NOC001 CCC-EOC001 etc. Where the NOC and EOC are divisions. We currently have 9 divisions and the complaint I'm getting is that with all the schedules its hard find a flight they are looking for. So I want to create a division filter based on the flightnum field which in itself is easy enough to do, but I would wind up with a drop-down list of ever flight in the database. What I need to know is how can I create it so that it only searchs for the division code.

<div id="division">
   	<p>Select Division</p>
       <select id="division" name="division">
	<option value="">Select Division</option>
                       <?php

if(!$division) $division = array();
	         foreach($division as $divis)
	         {
		   echo '<option value="'.$divis->name.'">'.$divis->name.'</option>';
	         }

?>
       </select>
       <input type="submit" name="submit" value="Find Flights" />
   </div>

this is the code for the table so all I need is the code that would be placed in schedules.php or more to the point what I need to make the code look in the flight num for just the 3 letter division code.

Sorry But this is not a duplicate post my problem is different, that part I already pretty much knew and would result in a drop down list of about 500 items in length what i need is how to truncate the data field so only the 3 letters of the flight num show up so instead of -NOC001 I get NOC.

Thank You for your input though