Newbie On VATSIM

TAV1702

Hey all. I have been simming online for years but refused to ever fly at VATSIM. Well, I have had a change of heart and as we speak, I am logged on to VATSIM monitoring radio COMS.

Anyone have any friendly advice for a Vatsim virgin? Are charts mandatory to fly there? I know how to use SIDS and STARS so it is no biggie, was mainly curious. Any advice I can get I would love it. I would hate to log on and get banned my first flight for doing something wrong. I have heard time and time again about how picky they are there.

Thanks

Ray

Hello,

It's nice to see your joining up to VATSIM.

The chance of getting banned for doing something wrong is VERY slim.

I'm a controller in the UK for Gatwick. I'll logon around 19:00 UTC if you want and then just pm me saying hi.

See you then,

Jon

Edited by Jon

• Moderators

hello Ray

it depends how difficould you want to go i sugest starting with a plane you know like the back off your hand go online and then just start askin the questions as they follow.

quick here

first ask your ifr clerance, then readback all the controller tells you after that its just push and start,req taxi to the active line up and wait(here it gets triky as the us and europe handel different talking) getting your takoff clearance and thats about it when airborn just do as the controller tells you

also in your box for comment just put in newbie plz talk slow will help you allot :-)

hope this helps you going online

and remeber the first flight is the hardest the rest will get easyser

gr joeri

Hi guys and thanks for the replies. I logged on last night and listened to coms for quite a while. I have no issue flying online at all. I have got several hundred hours at Westcoast ATC, and the old eSkyWorld when it was on I had quite a few hundred hours on there with ATC as well, also I was a rated controller ( KZOB ARTTCC )there for 4 years.

I guess the whole VATSIM thing though was and always has been kind of intimidating to me. Why I am not sure. I am looking to get on there in the next day or two and get a flight in. I am sure once I get the first one out of the way, it is all blue skies after that. ;)

Hello,

It's nice to see your joining up to VATSIM.

The chance of getting banned for doing something wrong is VERY slim.

I'm a controller in the UK for Gatwick. I'll logon around 19:00 UTC if you want and then just pm me saying hi.

See you then,

Jonathan Derrick 1096780

Well, in my squwakbox script, I have a drop down box with servers in it. Which one do you normally get on to? I am at a loss deciding which server I need to log on to there.

If I can find you, I'll jump on and tune in for a bit and learn how the big VAT works. Maybe I can squeeze in a flight or two.

You know, blonde moments have been known to be a thing of a problem for me and this is one of them. I looked way to far into it. I hook up to a us server and get on the ground near him when he is one. Duhh! lol Sorry joeri, I don't know what the hell I was thinking. :blink:

• 2 weeks later...