Add Schedule issues

Mysterious Pilot

I guess the application is US-centric but as it so happens it can be used all over the world. I managed to enter my airports of both standard scenery (ICAO code available) as well add-ons (no icao code or with ICAO but not in FS). So I proceeded to make the schedules based on the real life airline and found these issues:

a) The flight duration (there is a text field for that) can be calculated from the departure/arrival times

B) The Departure/Arrival times assume a HH:MM TZ format but many countries not far from the US don't even have time zones. Perhaps it

should also allow Z (Zulu) and in the Airport details it should let the user enter the UTC offset.

c) The Price should show the (default) currency in the form. This is another oversight though, PHPVMS allows one to create multiple

airlines so it is quite possible that not all the airlines use the same currency. Therefore the default currency should be per

airline rather than application wide.

d) The application should make more effective use of the administrator's time :-) for example:

d.1) Allow the possibility to create a new schedule based on an existing one. For example when the airline flies

the same route several times in a day.

d.2) Allow to create the return trip based on an existing schedule. Same as D.1 except that the dep/dest are reversed. In

some cases the route may change.

Wow! How did I became a tester after being an architect?

• Administrators

I guess the application is US-centric but as it so happens it can be used all over the world. I managed to enter my airports of both standard scenery (ICAO code available) as well add-ons (no icao code or with ICAO but not in FS). So I proceeded to make the schedules based on the real life airline and found these issues:

a) The flight duration (there is a text field for that) can be calculated from the departure/arrival times

B) The Departure/Arrival times assume a HH:MM TZ format but many countries not far from the US don't even have time zones. Perhaps it

should also allow Z (Zulu) and in the Airport details it should let the user enter the UTC offset.

c) The Price should show the (default) currency in the form. This is another oversight though, PHPVMS allows one to create multiple

airlines so it is quite possible that not all the airlines use the same currency. Therefore the default currency should be per

airline rather than application wide.

d) The application should make more effective use of the administrator's time :-) for example:

d.1) Allow the possibility to create a new schedule based on an existing one. For example when the airline flies

the same route several times in a day.

d.2) Allow to create the return trip based on an existing schedule. Same as D.1 except that the dep/dest are reversed. In

some cases the route may change.

Wow! How did I became a tester after being an architect?

a/b - phpVMS doesn't use any timezones. It's all done as whatever timezone you chose and remain consistent. For instance, if you want to list all times as local to that airport, you can do that. If you want to list everything in GMT, you can do that as well. As long as you remain consistent. Flight durations also vary depending on aircraft, and maybe your airline policy is duration is gate to gate, not runway to runway.

c - You can change in the config to not use a currency (since it is just a display), and you can make a note that the currencies listed are local

d - this has come up before, if I get time to implement them, I will. But that is also why the CSV import exists, so you can do that a bit more easily

Nabeel, while some of the items are actually issues (things that don't work quite right) many of them are just suggestions. It is up to you to decide whether to do the improvement or not. I was an open source developer for maaaaaany years so I know the feeling.

Now I must ask myself, are you really interested in my feedback regarding those suggestions or should I just keep them to myself? It also saves me some time.

• Administrators

Nabeel, while some of the items are actually issues (things that don't work quite right) many of them are just suggestions. It is up to you to decide whether to do the improvement or not. I was an open source developer for maaaaaany years so I know the feeling.

Now I must ask myself, are you really interested in my feedback regarding those suggestions or should I just keep them to myself? It also saves me some time.

They've come up before. There is a suggestions thread. I do look into them. But no guarantees. There is a github repository for the project, so if you have any patches to help out, I'm willing to integrate them into the mainline (as I have in the past, and just did with the latest beta as well, simpilot also has numerous changes integrated into the main trunk). I do not get as much time as I have in the past to work with phpVMS