Modifying phpVMS with Dreamweaver

AAG001

Right off the bat, let me say, "I'm sorry for being such a noob"! I have Dreamweaver CS5.5 and am "attempting" to use it to change the appearance (the look) of phpVMS to suite my need.

The problem is... I can't find the "main page" within the phpVMS directory structure, so I can open it in DW and modify it. Could someone tell me where it is? The only experience I have with web design is from the old days when text editors were used. Back then, the "main page" was usually called "home.htm" or "index.htm".

Thanks in advance for your help. Please feel free to add ANY information you feel would be helpful in getting things rolling.

Regards,

Murray Wheten

ECA - Eastern Canada Air

• Like 1

• Moderators

HI Murray,

Welcome to phpvms, the main skins folder is located in your lib/skins/crystal folder, phpvms uses templates instead of full html pages, im probably not the right person to explain how it all works but to get a grip[s with it have a look in the shins forum where you can download examples, from there you can customise them as you need, Its not that hard once you start to learn where things go and the different variables you can use. :)

If you do get stuck then just post were all friendly here :)

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply Mark. I appreciate the help. I think I understand. Lets see if I do... :unsure:

Instead of there being a "single" HomePage that I can access and change, the home page is made up of different components from the /skins/chrystal directory?

I have another question...

Dreamweaver needs to know where the "image" directory is. There is more than one directory named "image". Which one should I point DW to?

Thank you!

Murray Wheten

ECA-Eastern Canada Air

• Like 1

OK, I think I have just realized why I am having difficulty understanding what is what...

In the default skin directory (skins/crystal) there is no index.html file. I came to this realization when I DLed the "ObsessBlue" skin. That skin "does" have an index.html file that I can open in DW so that I can modify it.

So, where is the equivalent file in the default crystal skin?

Thanks!

Murray

Murray...Welcome and I hope you have fun creating your phpVMS website. The "crystal" skin is the one that is totally different than all the others you find because it is automatically tied into everything. Everything you need to edit (including your index.php file) can be found here: /public_html/core/templates

The other skins you download and use will run off of their own index.php file and is used basically in the same way. Let's take ObsessBlue 2 for example, as this is the skin I use and have completely revamped to suit our needs. You have two (2) different files you edit for the Home Page, layout.tpl which takes care of all of your page's information (links, website logo, and the whole side menu content. You then have frontpage_main.tpl which contains all the content that goes into that page. The same goes for the profile_main.tpl, pilots_list.tpl.

Once you have the layout.tpl set the way you want it to look like, you pretty much never have to edit it again because it is shown on every one of your pages (except in the Admin Center). If you continue to have problems, feel free to ask, as Mark said earlier today, we're all friendly and helpful in here.

Thanks for your reply Jeff.

I think I am not making myself very clear. Let me try something different...

When looking in the "ObsessBlue" skin that I downloded, I see that there is a file I can open in Dreamweaver that I can view visually in the "Design" window. This allows me to make changes to it without having to use code. That file is called "index.html". This is the same page I see if I browse to the site that holds the demo of ObsessBlue.

Question... what is the equivalent to that page in the crystal skin? In other words, when I use my browser to go to my website, I see the phpVMS default "front page" (home page). I want to be able to open that page in DW so I can manipulate it. Where is that page found in the directory structure of the default skin for phpVMS?

Thanks!

Murray

As I have never used DreamWeaver I can't give you the correct answer, but I do know that the index.php is left blank and when you click a link to any page on your website, a combination of .tpl files load simultaneously. One is the layout.tpl the other is the page you are viewing. Let's say, if you are viewing your Pilot Center, the layout.tpl and profile_main.tpl are loaded into the index.php file and that is what appears on your screen. Sorry if this doesn't help, but there may be more to it to actually be able to see the page you want to edit in DW.

Thanks for your reply Jeff.

I think I am not making myself very clear. Let me try something different...

When looking in the "ObsessBlue" skin that I downloded, I see that there is a file I can open in Dreamweaver that I can view visually in the "Design" window. This allows me to make changes to it without having to use code. That file is called "index.html". This is the same page I see if I browse to the site that holds the demo of ObsessBlue.

Question... what is the equivalent to that page in the crystal skin? In other words, when I use my browser to go to my website, I see the phpVMS default "front page" (home page). I want to be able to open that page in DW so I can manipulate it. Where is that page found in the directory structure of the default skin for phpVMS?

Thanks!

Murray

Have you tried looking at the layout.tpl file?

Kindest Regards.

Thanks Jeff. I understand now. I think I will have to abandoned my initial thought to modify the code using the "Design" (graphic window) of DW to make the changes. From what you and the others are saying, it's going to be harder to do then I initially thought. I am going to have to learn how templates, CSS, and PHP work. So, you won't see ECA - Eastern Canada Air up and running for a while yet! :lol:

Thanks James. Yes, I have tried opening that as well but I don't get the graphic window I thought I would get. BTW, all the code shows up perfectly in the "Code" window of DM. Like I mentioned above to Jeff, I am going to have to learn some more.

Let me make something perfectly clear about the help you folks have extended me. I think that there is NOTHING GREATER about human beings than our capacity and desire to share knowledge for free. So, that makes you guys GREAT human beings! Thanks very much for your help. It is very much appreciated... and by everyone who comes to this forum I'm sure.

"Ul-b-bauc!" ;)

Murray

UPDATE:

I found where the "SKINS_PATH" is defined... in the "codon.config.php" file. The line is, "define('SKINS_PATH', LIB_PATH.DS.'skins'.DS.CURRENT_SKIN);

Now I need to know where "CURRENT_SKIN" is defined. Anyone know?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ORIGINAL POST:

I have started the process of changing the code to produce a new skin. I will try and use the default "crystal" skin and make changes to it.

The first thing I need to know is...

Where are "directory paths" defined (what file)? I changed the name of "crystal" to "eastcanair" and updated that to the remote server. This caused errors which tells me I need to change (re "define") the path to the skin folder to point to "eastcanair" and not "crystal".

Here are the errors...

Notice: The template file "/hermes/web06/b2003/pow.eastcanairorg/htdocs/phpvms//lib/skins/crystal/header.tpl" doesn't exist in /hermes/web06/b2003/pow.eastcanairorg/htdocs/phpvms/core/classes/TemplateSet.class.php on line 248

Notice: The template file "/hermes/web06/b2003/pow.eastcanairorg/htdocs/phpvms//lib/skins/crystal/footer.tpl" doesn't exist in /hermes/web06/b2003/pow.eastcanairorg/htdocs/phpvms/core/classes/TemplateSet.class.php on line 248

BTW, the website is www.eastcanair.org (please excuse the mess! LOL!)

Thanks!

Murray

While I'm waiting for an answer to the question above (under UPDATE:), I hard coded the "CURRENT_SKIN" with 'eastcanair' and that works... for now!

The line looks like this now, "define('SKINS_PATH', LIB_PATH.DS.'skins'.DS.'eastcanair');

But, i still need to know where it is defined. So if you can help me with that, I'll be very grateful.

Murray

Another question...

In the file "core_navigation.tpl" I added another link... '/forum' and it shows on my website (after you login). How do I link an url to my actual forum, to that "button" (I don't know what it's actually called.... sorry)?

All of you guys missed the fact of how phpvms is structured designed wise...its language is PHP...its design is CSS it all comes together with templates, its actually more better tham HTML alone...more customizable.

And Murray i dont see no forum option in your menu bar...maybe i need to be logged in but if that is the case this is the code that you need to make that button take you to your forum

in your "core_navigation.tpl" add/edit this code to point to your forum

<li><a href="<?php echo SITE_URL ?>/index.php/XXX">Forum</a></li>

Change the XXX to match your forum URL and it should do the trick... let me know if it works out for you!

All of you guys missed the fact of how phpvms is structured designed wise...its language is PHP...its design is CSS it all comes together with templates, its actually more better tham HTML alone...more customizable.

And Murray i dont see no forum option in your menu bar...maybe i need to be logged in but if that is the case this is the code that you need to make that button take you to your forum

in your "core_navigation.tpl" add/edit this code to point to your forum

<li><a href="<?php echo SITE_URL ?>/index.php/XXX">Forum</a></li>

Change the XXX to match your forum URL and it should do the trick... let me know if it works out for you!

Hello!

I moved the "forum" button so you can test it for yourself without having to log in. I cut and pasted your code snipet and added the url to my fourum, "www.eastcanair.org/forum/".

Here is what I put, <li><a href="<?php echo SITE_URL ?>/index.php/www.eastcanair.org/forum/">Forum</a></li>

I also tried this, <li><a href="<?php echo SITE_URL ?>/index.php/http://www.eastcanair.org/forum/">Forum</a></li>

I get an error either way that says that a "module" does not exist.

Murray

Hello!

I moved the "forum" button so you can test it for yourself without having to log in. I cut and pasted your code snipet and added the url to my fourum, "www.eastcanair.org/forum/".

Here is what I put, <li><a href="<?php echo SITE_URL ?>/index.php/www.eastcanair.org/forum/">Forum</a></li>

I also tried this, <li><a href="<?php echo SITE_URL ?>/index.php/http://www.eastcanair.org/forum/">Forum</a></li>

I get an error either way that says that a "module" does not exist.

Murray

OH okay i see your problem the thing is ...the way you edited the link is making it go to the same place twice (http://www.google.com/http://www.google.com)

replace the code with this and it should work now

<li><a href="<?php echo SITE_URL ?>/forum">Forum</a></li>

let me know how it goes!!

Thanks Vanity!

Thanks Jeff!

Much appreciated,

Murray

BTW, I think I have settled on a logo/top banner... at least for now. Compared to some of your GREAT looking sites mine is very, well, let's just say "low key" LOL! But, that is the look I am going for right now. I am trying to represent a "start-up" company that does not have a lot of money or resources. I will start with just 4 or 5 GA planes and the routes will be short (0.75 to 1.5 hrs) and medium (1.5 to 3.00). Long hauls will come later as I/we make more money.

So, I will continue to make some mods to the skin, and work on getting the forum ready.

If I have anymore questions, I will start new posts that are specific to those questions. I don't think it will benefit anyone if I keep this thread going any longer.

Thanks again guys! I hope I can return the favour someday... perhaps I'll right a how-too for newbies!

Murray Wheten

ECA-Eastern Canada Air,

Charter Services

www.eastcanair.org

eca001 "at" eastcanair.org

• 1 year later...