Stealing code, blah blah etc

Tom

This is beyond ridiculous!

It's disgusting that nobody can create anything around here without some fool claiming its been stolen! You have no rights over an idea!

People here need to understand that seeing as we're all here to do the same thing, we're probably going to end up doing the same things!

In addition to that, HTML and CSS are designed to be written in a certain way, and that way only. To create a valid HTML table, for example, you need certain tags in a certain order. Two people who are inevitably pursuing the same idea will no doubt end up writing the same code, if they write valid code.

It's driving innocent people, who are bringing creativity and productiveness to the forums, away. These are people who should be most valued on this forum, they contribute far more than those of you who sit around moaning about this or that being stolen from your site every other week just because it's similar to what you have.

It really needs to stop. Stop being so negative.

• Like 2

Tom you're talking bollocks, and I know you are referring to my post. My website, as any other, is afforded automatic copyright protection. This includes the layout, design and content. How do I know this? Because I've just taken an ICT & and the Law module as part of my BSc IT & Organisations course. I didn't have a problem with him copying my ideas, I found it pretty flattering to be honest. I did take exception to him passing the work and idea off as his own, which DOES constitute a breach of copyright. Check your facts before you go mouthing next time. I have enough evidence to prove what I have claimed.

Yes your lunacy prompted my post. You are indeed automatically covered by copyright within the country your site is hosted in (which I'm guessing is not that of the producer of that module) so you're going to get nowhere pursuing him. Yeah I did ICT A Level which involved knowing about copyright etc laws... woop dee doo, however, if we're playing a game of "I thought of it first therefore it's copyright to me" then I'd wager that I created a similar module far before you ever did. Do I b*tch (which may I add shouldn't really be censored, please look up what it means) and moan about it, or threaten to "take it further" or however you put it? NO because doing so gets you NOWHERE.

• Like 3

• Moderators

Yes your lunacy prompted my post. You are indeed automatically covered by copyright within the country your site is hosted in (which I'm guessing is not that of the producer of that module) so you're going to get nowhere pursuing him. Yeah I did ICT A Level which involved knowing about copyright etc laws... woop dee doo, however, if we're playing a game of "I thought of it first therefore it's copyright to me" then I'd wager that I created a similar module far before you ever did. Do I b*tch (which may I add shouldn't really be censored, please look up what it means) and moan about it, or threaten to "take it further" or however you put it? NO because doing so gets you NOWHERE.

Tom, lately you have became a big mouth.

Stuart had a valid reasons why someone stole his idea. (Same Layout, someone snooping at stuart's site) and Stuart deserved some Attribution of the airport idea.

Besides, you don't really see how it hurts your feelings or stuart's feelings when someone steals his work.

• Like 1

Tom, at the end of the day, you are talking bollocks again. If someone is going to release work as their own creation, then they must ensure that the work is their own. This clearly wasn't the case, and that fact won't change, regardless of what your personal take is. It's attitudes like yours that do more damage to phpVMS than mine ever will. People are passing off others work as their own, how exactly does that benefit this website, it's members or phpVMS? If anything it would only serve to make people wary of sharing their ideas. Common sense, but it seems to have missed you!

It's a shame you have to resort to using foul language all the time stuart.

In what way, exactly, does my attitude damage the phpVMS community as a whole? I am promoting the sharing of good ideas and works. If anything it is beneficial to all.

I don't deny valid points have been raised in this instance, however you would never ever get any result pursuing someone.

• Like 2

There is one thing promoting the sharing of ideas, and another the blatant ripping of others without attribution. Seems you cannot distinguish between the two. As for my choice of language, I felt it was highly appropriate seeing as you are indeed talking bollocks. Why mince words?

EDIT: As for results in pursuing copyright infringers, on what are you basing your assumption that it never produces results? I would strongly pursue anyone who clearly has breached copyright, and I have had to on one occasion in my line of business. There are hoops to jump through, but it certainly is NOT impossible to bring successful action.

• Like 1

In case you hadn't inferred from my earlier posts, this thread is not solely directed towards you. Please don't feel as if it is. It's about the general negativity on this forum towards developers.

Seeing as I'm sure you'd love to go into detail, however, what solid proof do you have that it was ripped off from yours? Or are you merely assuming it is because the code is similar in parts?

• Like 1

In case you hadn't inferred from my earlier posts, this thread is not solely directed towards you. Please don't feel as if it is. It's about the general negativity on this forum towards developers.

Seeing as I'm sure you'd love to go into detail, however, what solid proof do you have that it was ripped off from yours? Or are you merely assuming it is because the code is similar in parts?

I've already stated my case in the other thread. If you feel that isn't enough then that's up to you.

Really?

Yes your lunacy prompted my post.

In case you forgot, it was you who started this post, having a semi veiled pop at me. I've already stated my case in the other thread, and feel no need whatsoever to go over old ground here.

• Like 1

Prompted but not sole cause. There's been lots of this recently. It's no personal attack... you're unfortunately not the only one.

It's rather off-putting really. I've completely refrained from even mentioning some of the things I've done myself, simply because certain people here are just so negative. Spoils it for everyone else really.

• Like 1

Prompted but not sole cause. There's been lots of this recently. It's no personal attack... you're unfortunately not the only one.

It's rather off-putting really. I've completely refrained from even mentioning some of the things I've done myself, simply because certain people here are just so negative. Spoils it for everyone else really.

I have every right to be defensive of the website I create, and it's features. I've spent 6 weeks now working on the site, and adding bits here and there. I've even tried to share some of what I have done. I have no problem with that. Where I do take exception is when people pass off my own, or even others work as their own. Every module I have used that is not my own or I adapted for my site will be accredited to the creator, either in the HTML commenting, or through a webpage(hopefully both) I'm working on to highlight the contributions that helped shape my site. I believe this to be both fair and reasonable. Why is it off putting to expect people to share the same courtesy?

• Like 1