Newbie Really Needs Help Please

Colin

After hours of frustration, spitting my dummy out I must admit defeat and ask for help, as stated I am a complete newbie who probably shouldn't be venturing into this realm but as it's something I want to do I will soldier on, anyway getting to the point...........

I have unsuccessfully tried to install a number of skins each time with the same result, the layout goes completely messed up and I end up going back to the crystal skin. One of the skins I have downloaded is from http://www.myvadesigns.org/free-skins/ the skin is named bluelight,

I have installed this skin as follows: (not leaving anything out as hopefully someone will be able to figure out where I am going wrong)

As stated on the website I went into the layout.tpl and frontpage_main.tpl to change the urls from mydomain.com to my va’s domain.

I then uploaded the skin to the web server and placed it in phpvms/lib/skins, I then went into admin center and changed the current skin to bluelight, the site then went messed up ( I have attached a screenshot) and I reverted back to crystal,

I have no idea what I am doing wrong and any help is greatly appreciated, I am hoping this venture turns into one of these cases where when you first start out everything seems hard then 6 months down the line you wonder what the fuss was about, although I doubt it

again to just reiterate the fact that I am a newbie and you will probably see my posts quite a lot along the way, for which I apologise in advance for,

Again any help greatly appreciated

Many Thanks

P.S I am probably going to end up hiring someone to design the website if things don't go to plan, I have been quoted by 1 company $200, If anyone can beat this please let me know :)

post-3200-0-87295600-1336190319_thumb.jpg

OK, so with your Bluelight skin what you need to do is go into the Layout.tpl and change at the top where it says:

<link type="text/css" href="/lib/skins/bluelight/menu.css" rel="stylesheet" />

to:

<link type="text/css" href="<?php echo SITE_URL?>/lib/skins/bluelight/menu.css" rel="stylesheet" />

and,

Change this:

<link rel="stylesheet" href="/lib/skins/bluelight/style.css" type="text/css" media="screen" />

to this:

<link rel="stylesheet" href="<?php echo SITE_URL?>/lib/skins/bluelight/style.css" type="text/css" media="screen" />

And then you should be all set. :)