Excessive Spamming

rpalmer800

Hi, Within the past few days we have received about 35 spam applications including 6 in the past hour. I don't think that they are being manually entered because i keep blocking the IP's and we really haven't made any enemy's i really have tried everything i know to stop them, tried google and everything, but nothing seems to be working... so i was wondering if anybody has any solutions, like anti spam scripts or anything.

• Administrators

I added some code to the registration module and it cuts down the spam signups dramatically, not 100% but close. It querys the stop forum spam database both for the email and the ip.

In registration.php - function ProcessRegistration() - right after

'hub' => $this->post->hub,
'confirm' => false
);

make some room and add this

// Check email for known spammer
					 $url = 'http://www.stopforumspam.com/api?email='.$data['email'].'&ip='.$_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'];
					 $file = new CodonWebService();
					 $contents = $file->get($url);
					 $response = simplexml_load_string($contents);
					 $reject = FALSE;
					 foreach($response->appears as $row)
					 {
						 if($row == 'yes'){$reject = TRUE;}
					 }
					 if($reject == TRUE){
							 $this->set('message', 'Your email or IP address appears on our spam database, we therefore assume
								 you are a spammer and are rejecting your registration request. If you feel this is incorrect please contact us.');
							 $this->render('core_error.tpl');
							 //send email that spam registration rejected
							 $email = 'put your email address here';
							 $sub = 'Spam Registration Rejected';;
							 $message = 'Spam pilot registration rejected using email '.$data['email'].' and
								 IP address '.$_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'].' on '.date('m/d/Y', time()).' at '.date('g:ia', time());
							 Util::SendEmail($email, $sub, $message);
					 return false;
					 }
				 //end spam check

replace the - put your email address here - with the email you want the notice that a rejection has occured sent to.