Question about protected names

Leiserson

Ok recently I have come once again upon the flying tigers group. If you arent familiar with them they create and run simulated real world airlines such as cathay, JAL etc. Now the only difference that I have seen between their sites and other simulated real world airlines is a notice at the bottom ( For Flight Simulation purposes only. Not a commercial site. Not affiliated or endorsed by any airline. 2002-2009 Name VA - All rights reserved). Now I have contacted a few airlines in the past about using their name ( some that the flying tigers have) and they said that using their name is prohibited and will result ina  cease and desist. Ive looked into trademark and copyright laws and I have found that you can use their names as long as you disclaim that you are not affiliated, are simulated, are an organization and that you have no commercial connection and/or use to that company. Now is the disclaimer all thats needed or do I need to seek a lawyer to help me sort the stuff out? Please dont say ask for their permission... because I have. And they have assured me that it wont work in anyones case ( yet the flying tigers succeeded without the permission) >>!

Thanks for reading!

Help is appreciated

Hi flyzen,

I think that if you want to make an official virtual airline of a real word airline, you must have a written permission about their logos, name etc etc...

Instead, if you want to make a not-official VA of a real VA you can't use the officials trademarks.

Ps I am not a lawyer :D.

Marco

• Moderators

Ok recently I have come once again upon the flying tigers group. If you arent familiar with them they create and run simulated real world airlines such as cathay, JAL etc. Now the only difference that I have seen between their sites and other simulated real world airlines is a notice at the bottom ( For Flight Simulation purposes only. Not a commercial site. Not affiliated or endorsed by any airline. 2002-2009 Name VA - All rights reserved). Now I have contacted a few airlines in the past about using their name ( some that the flying tigers have) and they said that using their name is prohibited and will result ina  cease and desist. Ive looked into trademark and copyright laws and I have found that you can use their names as long as you disclaim that you are not affiliated, are simulated, are an organization and that you have no commercial connection and/or use to that company. Now is the disclaimer all thats needed or do I need to seek a lawyer to help me sort the stuff out? Please dont say ask for their permission... because I have. And they have assured me that it wont work in anyones case ( yet the flying tigers succeeded without the permission) >>!

Thanks for reading!

Help is appreciated

i have alsow contacted some dutch and belgium airlines mostly negative advice and alsow pointed them to an other va that used the same name so they could have a sneak peak of haw i was going to make the site now the other airline havent got permission and the airline is getting some problemens with the airline in question.

so to get back on your question

only if you have written permision from someone from the airline with autograph then you are allowed to use logo's and name and you have to mention it on your site that the logo and name aren't yours than normaly its ok. but these are the rules in belgium and the netherlands don't  know how it is outside these country's.

gr joeri