How to view phpVMS site installed on local PC through internet

DCaptainFunk

Hi!

I am working on a phpVMS site that I installed on my local PC - with use of XAMPP. If I would like others to view this site from around the world, I am assuming this is what I should do (but it is not giving me the result I need):

1. Configure my firewall to allow port 80.

2. Configure port forwarding for port 80.

3. Assuming my external IP address (using whois website) is xx.xx.xxx.xxx and my phpVMS site folder is called 'phpVMS-VA', I would assume for someone to view the site would have to put in their browser: xx.xx.xxx.xxx/phpVMS-VA

What am I doing wrong here?

Thank you!

• Moderators

I HIGHLY HIGHLY wouldn't recommend doing this as this can open your PC to hackers in the world, however, you would need to do port forwarding with your Router to point the port 80 to your computer, but still do not recommend doing this.

I suggest you to buy a hosting, from fivedev as it's operated by Nabeel who made phpVMS. Have a look at http://fivedev.net

Thanks for your reply Kyle and Parkho!

Yes I am aware that my PC would become vulnerable ;) I am using a PC that has nothing on it anyways - it is not my work PC ;) and I use it only for test purposes - have it imaged for easy and quick restore in case it does get damaged by hack.

I am still fairly new to phpVMS, and the idea to show the site to others is merely for testing purposes until the site is ready for a paid host. I wouldn't want to go for paid hosting without having a site worthy of one, if you know what I mean ;)

I have port 80 forwarded - but when someone inserts my IP address in their web address bar, it does not work. Not sure what I could be doing wrong.

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

This depends on several things and mainly by your network layout. For example, Lets say your Internet service provider has supplied you with a router or modem, this is their demarcation point. And let's say this modem only has one ethernet port, so in order for you to have multiple computers connected to the internet you install your own router, as most people do. You now have 3 firewalls in your network. The one on your modem, the one on your router, and the one built into your windows system.

Here is what I would recommend you do. Identify your ISP's demarcation point and find out if it has a firewall, if it does, forward port 80 to the next "node", or next device, in your network. (moving towards your XAMPP web server) If you have a secondary router or device which is equipped with a firewall forward port 80 on it aswell to the next node on your network which by now should be your PC if it hasn't been hit yet. Once you have port 80 forwarded to your PC, verify the windows firewall isn't blocking it. The best way to know if your computer is configured properly as a web server is to try and access the webserver on that PC from an alternate PC on your network, such as your "work pc" as you discribed it above. You can also use http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ as a tool to check if your successful. As a last resort, feel free to message me personally and I will be more than happy to assist you with this. Keep in mind however that worst case scenario your ISP may block you from hosting a web server, as any residential ISP would recommend you against doing. They also will provide absolutely no help in this situation.

Good Luck! And happy hosting =)