Strange issue with homepage and sessions (solved with open questions)

mischka

Hello guys,

I had a real weird issue today: When a user was logged in, the site was working normal. Soon as I logged out though, there were loads of error messages all over the homepage, many relating to database issues. Also, things like recent flights, filed pireps, news and other stuff that gets loaded from the db was not showing.

I tried clearing the cache, didn't help. I bothered the support of my host but they pointed at the phpvms system, saying their servers were well within parameters.

Then, while being logged out, I clicked on one of the links on my page and then went back the homepage.. all of a sudden all was fine!

This got me thinking about the session management, and I went into my db... I noticed several sessions with my IP address and userid 0... I deleted all of those and then it was working normally again... for a minute or so. hmmmm, what the hell?

Then one of the error messages drew my attention. On my homepage I had a little script that gets the countrycode of the visitor and shows a suitable picture on the banner, eg a visitor from prague will get a picture of prague airport.

It appeared that the site I used to fetch data from (api.hostip.info) is down and hence the request was not completed in time.. so it seems now this problem is solved

Anyway... until 10 seconds ago my phpvms_sessions table had over 6200 records in it. it was manually flushed on 31st of May (ie a month ago) so thats a lot of records created for absolutely nothing. How can this be and how can it be fixed?