new bee looking for help getting off the ground

big red 1

Greetings!!! I am a start up VA and as such to tell you the truth I am a little overwhelmed

when it comes to software application. Also I am a high school free enterprise teacher and I think that eventually I could use my VA as great learning hands on lad.  That said I am at the point where I have almost figured out my route system. Moreover I will be happy to share my data with you guys if you would like I use FS X and have flown more than 150 flights which are logged and ready to turn into routes. I have been working on this since before last Christmas. I want to start out as a mail carrier in the American south, like so many real world airlines did. From there I want to evolve into passenger flights flying the DC3 and The Constellation. I want my kids to understand how real world airlines came to be what they are in their modern world. Hence I will not go live (on The net) until I start passenger service. Therefore while operating as a mail carrier I plan to iron out the bugs locally on my home computer. Then 6 months to a year from now I will move into passenger service.  I want to take my time in development because any educational tool that doesn’t work right will not be taken seriously by the kids thus rendering the project useless. So I want to find the right software set it up and then when I am fully up to operational speed go live. All which leads me to the question will your program work just on my home computer at first until I am ready to go live. Finally I am sure I am missing a ton of factors which may be very obvious to you but no where on my radar at this point in my learning curve. So any help would be gratefully appreciated.  Thanks for your time, help and understanding.

• Administrators

Welcome Aboard!

You can set up a local server and run phpVMS on your pc to do all your development work, I believe that is what most of us do, I know I do. It is a good way to get familar with the software and build your own modules and skins for it and have a good testing environment before going live.

There are a few good server packages out there as open source software (Free  ;D , my wife is a teacher so I understand the lack of resources in many school systems  ;)) that you can download.

WAMP Server - http://www.wampserver.com/en/

XAMPP Server - http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html

They both have good documentation and are easy to setup.

Let me know if you need help setting it up.

• Administrators

Hey!

Thanks for checking us out. Like David said, those packages are good places to start. I used to use XAMPP to develop on, it's pretty simple to setup (there's an installer).

Usually it will go in c:xampphtdocs. That's where you'd place phpVMS, just follow the installation instructions from there.