Updating phpvms - Am I missing Something ?

James200410

Hi Guys,

Time after time I have had to reinstall the whole thing from scratch because I keep getting conflicts when updating to the latest beta version.

This means manually entering all my VA's operational data e.g. Schedules, Airports, Aircraft etc. etc .

Starting to get tired of doing it to tell the truth.

As nearly every update houses changes to the DB, I cant seem to export the database to import it due to SQL errors re: addition tables in the last update.

Is there any easy way of keeping all my data ?

I noticed that REV782 has the Schedules export option which is a great idea, any chance in making an export function for all ops data ?

e.g. Aircraft, Airlines, Schedules, Airports etc ?

There must be a way you are all doing it, I just haven't got the brains to figure this out yet  :-[

I have read the tutorial's re: updating, but I seem to loose all my information and having to start from scratch all the time.

EDIT** Also, with these updates, can I install the .tpl's and other minor files to enhance what I have instead of installing the whole beta ?

I am happy with the release version atm, but would like some of the functions and features of the beta versions.

Sorry for all the questions.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Adam

• Administrators

If you export in phpMyAdmin, you can export just the data.

When you install (lets say 700), you run the installer. It sets everything up (I recommend starting here).

After that, lets say you want to update to a beta (or the next full release). You upload all the files, and run the install/update.php. That should be it. It'll take care of table updates, and config file updates. You have to run it after every every time you update. If a table update has already been made, it will skip it. And the updates are cumulative, so if you update to 783, and skip 784 and 785 and goto 786, you just run the update in 786 and it will cover the previous.

Templates - any templates you edit, you should be putting them in the folder for your skin (ie, if you're using the crystal skin, copy the template file and put it in the lib/skins/crystal folder), that way they're not overwritten in updates. When I make changes to the default templates, I list the templates and changes in the changelog file which is included in every release. This is so then you can transfer the changes to your customized templates.

If you're getting errors, if you can post them, I'll see what's going on, it could be an error in my code which I haven't accounted for. Hopefully that helps

Hi Nabeel and thaks for your response, I have a better understanding now.

My previous problems was with the login errors I and a couple of others were getting but that seems to be fixed now with REV782.

I have created a dev site to test things and so far so good.

Thanks again, your explanation makes sense now.

Cheers

Adam

• Administrators

Yeah, the login errors... I guess you happened to get into the beta where I was rewriting those portions. There can be some major or small errors but it with your help those things get fixed real quick (last week, or the week before, I had 5 updates in one day to fix errors)