MySQL socket error?

infidel

I keep getting this error when using the phpVMS installer. I am very new at this stuff and think I must have missed something in my set up

Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

any ideas??

first i suggest changing the subject of the post.. it's quite frustrating to see help written without anything else.

IMHO :)

Simon

Update-

I uninstalled and re-installed everything phpVMS related and followed the directions in this file: http://docs.phpvms.net/installation

Still getting the "Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)" error when using the installer.

What am I doing wrong? Getting frustrated with the whole thing - just spent 4 days waiting for and getting no support for a similar program that I spent money for and am hoping the phpVMS will be the solution so I can get our site up and running.

• Administrators

Hey,

Welcome to the site... hopefully you'll have better luck.

About that error, who's your host? I would contact them, that's usually a misconfiguration on their end, which they need to fix, or you have to specify a certain host to connect to (that's not "localhost"), but I would start with contacting them first.

Are you on bluehost, by any chance? Someone else also had this error, after a bluehost did an upgrade

Hey,

Welcome to the site... hopefully you'll have better luck.

About that error, who's your host? I would contact them, that's usually a misconfiguration on their end, which they need to fix, or you have to specify a certain host to connect to (that's not "localhost"), but I would start with contacting them first.

Are you on bluehost, by any chance? Someone else also had this error, after a bluehost did an upgrade

On DirectNIC

• Administrators

Some hosts are really incompetent. DirectNIC doesn't look like LAMP hosting is their specialty, so if you're not in a contract, it might be less of a headache just to go with a different host, could save you alot of trouble down the line (shamless plug: http://forum.phpvms.net/index.php?topic=669.0  ;D )

A non-localhost database, they would basically give you the address to enter. Usually it's an IP address which the web-server can access (the database server is on a different box than the web-server)

Ok- stupid question: am I supposed to import any sql file or anything into my database before running the install.php?

Just set up another script and was told they couldnt access the database and I found a sql file that needed to be set up in the database before going though the activation. Seems pretty similar to what I am experiencing with phpVMS

• Administrators

Nope, there is an install.sql but install.php will run it, since there is stuff in there which has be be filled in by the installer.

You can send them that first page of the installer where they enter the DB info and the check database connection, to show them the error