A newbie trying to install phpVMS

danmand

Hi folks.

I'm trying to get my airline started and have decided to try phpVMS.  The only problem is that I don't know anything about php or database servers.  I hope you'll bear with me and be my teachers.  :)

I tried doing the install myself yesterday and it didn't go well.  So I've decided to start all over and get some help as I go along.

I'm hosting with Godaddy and am trying to get the MySQL database setup first.  It's asking me some questions that I'm unsure of.

1. I have a choice between version 4.1 or 5.0.  Is there a preference?  I saw version 4.1 on the installation documents here but I thought I'd make sure first.

2. It wants to do know if I want to install "DSN".  I have no idea what that is.

3. It wants to know if I want to "Allow Direct Database Access".  A note underneath says "Databases with External access are located on a seperate server than databases without External Access.

These are the questions I have so far.  Thanks for the help.

Dan

• Administrators

Hey Dan, thanks for trying us out! :)

1. I would go with 5.0, though it runs on 4.1, I personally do all my testing and development on 5.0

2. Don't worry about it

3. You can say no, you don't need external access.

I think they'll give you the address you need to connect to the database, note that down, since the phpVMS installer will ask for it.

Good luck, feel free to post any other questions

Ok, so I've setup the database and tried to run the installation on my site.

I never get to run the install.  I get the following error.

Fatal error: Call to a member function get_results() on a non-object in D:Hosting5392367htmlsunbirdphpvmscoreclassesDB.class.php on line 280

I have no idea what that means, but I can tell you that I was unable to find an area where I could set permissions on the database.  I was hoping that they would be set "on" by default.

Is this error permissions related?

Thanks.

Dan