Strange scoring in VACentral

tnick74

Well, this happens the last two days:

for every flight we make, our score goes down!! Since the VA got in vacentral, every flight was giving 1 point (sometimes 2 and i do not know why), but the last two days we get penalized when fly!! funny

No change have been made to our schedules or pilots, and the flights made are as scheduled (aircraft, time etc), i cannot understand how this happens

hahaha! something is going very wrong in vacentral, and i cannot understand what it is!!

having a score of 401 points (really do not know how achieved this), and after 1 more flight the current score is 142 (-261)!!! hehe this is funny should we make flights or not? :D

Nabeel, could you please give us an explaining document saying how is the score calculated? The tips that are now in vacentral site do not explain much, i would like to understand the way the score is calculated.

• Moderators

hahaha! something is going very wrong in vacentral, and i cannot understand what it is!!

having a score of 401 points (really do not know how achieved this), and after 1 more flight the current score is 142 (-261)!!! hehe this is funny should we make flights or not? :D

Nabeel, could you please give us an explaining document saying how is the score calculated? The tips that are now in vacentral site do not explain much, i would like to understand the way the score is calculated.

hello nikos

iff i am not mistaking its something like this

the ranking is calculated per hour using current flighthours,current active/retired pilots,tha ammount off schedulles(having 500 schedulles for 3 pilots will be badder than 100 for 3)also you have to make some flights a day to stay at 0 this also depends onn all the factors i just mentiont

thats i think about it but possible i forgot some things.

gr joeri

• Administrators

The 142 sounds about right. The new algorithm didn't take place until midnight which is when the cleanup script runs.

It's basically last 40 days pireps, average per day calculated against # of pilots total, and active pilots out of all those pilots.

So Joeri is correct - 30 pilots with 10% active will do worse than 10 pilots with 9 active, but 30 pilots wiht 50% active will do better... with an average of lets say 2-3 pireps a day. Increase your score by - more pireps in one by by more pilots, but it doesnt change in one day, it takes several days to get better - meaning you have to keep your VA performing well and better in order for your score to go higher.

Number of schedules don't count anymore, but the %age of actively flown schedules do have some bearing on the overall score, though not much. But if you have 100 routes and only 10 are really flown, it will count against you, vs if you have 30 routes and 25 of them are regularly flown. It's a bit complicated, but basically the thing is - expand your VA, keep it active in all areas and you will do well

Guest lorathon

Just curious as to why the schedule count is in the calculation. What is the logic behind this? As of right now PVA has over 57,000 routes and we will keep expanding. The whole goal of our VA is to get as many RW airlines with there RW schedules in the DB. We will never have a good ratio of pilots to schedules. But the attraction of being able to fly any and all RW airlines is bringing in pilots fast and furious. I can understand the Number of Pilots / Active pilots ratio. But not the schedules ratio.

Just looking for clarification. :)

• Administrators

Just curious as to why the schedule count is in the calculation. What is the logic behind this? As of right now PVA has over 57,000 routes and we will keep expanding. The whole goal of our VA is to get as many RW airlines with there RW schedules in the DB. We will never have a good ratio of pilots to schedules. But the attraction of being able to fly any and all RW airlines is bringing in pilots fast and furious. I can understand the Number of Pilots / Active pilots ratio. But not the schedules ratio.

Just looking for clarification. :)

It's not in the updated algorithm anymore. The reason I had it was I guess there was some value in knowing how many schedules were used and how many were 'fluff'. It was never a large part anyway (maybe would account for 15-20 points at the max). Everything else is logarithmic, but this was bit static. But I see your point

Sure, total pilots/active pilots and total schedules/flown schedules should count, it is correct.

I thought the score was calculated after each flight (at least it was appearing this way and still appears with the "yesterday score") and i could not understand how a company can lose 100 or 200 points after just 1 flight.

• Administrators

Sure, total pilots/active pilots and total schedules/flown schedules should count, it is correct.

I thought the score was calculated after each flight (at least it was appearing this way and still appears with the "yesterday score") and i could not understand how a company can lose 100 or 200 points after just 1 flight.

It's done every hour, after every flight would be a bit intensive.

Guest lorathon

Another question. We have been on VA Central since Friday I believe. But our "Yesterday's Score" is always showing a Zero. Does this update at a defined schedule? If so what is that schedule.

Thanks.

• Administrators

Another question. We have been on VA Central since Friday I believe. But our "Yesterday's Score" is always showing a Zero. Does this update at a defined schedule? If so what is that schedule.

Thanks.

Midnight EST. I'll check your VA out

Nabeel,

i still think that the scoring is somehow wrong. The "yesterday's score" is the same since 09 April, and for each flight completed, the current score is reduced.

On the other hand, i see that some companies (like EazyjetVA or TNT), have their score correct: they make flights, and they have positive score after each flight, although i do not remember if their "yesterday's score" is changed or not.

It seems that the calculation is not working properly, and i don't mean the way that algorithms work, but it is not working at all in some cases, or calculating wrong, or missing flights.

It should be common that when an airline is flying everyday (no matter how many flights), and there is not any change in pilots and/or schedules, the current score should be at least the same with "yesterday" (normally it should be higher due to flights completed)

Could you please check? Last time you checked it, there was a great change but for 1 day. Since then, the same problems insist.

Thank you

• Moderators

Nabeel,

i still think that the scoring is somehow wrong. The "yesterday's score" is the same since 09 April, and for each flight completed, the current score is reduced.

On the other hand, i see that some companies (like EazyjetVA or TNT), have their score correct: they make flights, and they have positive score after each flight, although i do not remember if their "yesterday's score" is changed or not.

It seems that the calculation is not working properly, and i don't mean the way that algorithms work, but it is not working at all in some cases, or calculating wrong, or missing flights.

It should be common that when an airline is flying everyday (no matter how many flights), and there is not any change in pilots and/or schedules, the current score should be at least the same with "yesterday" (normally it should be higher due to flights completed)

Could you please check? Last time you checked it, there was a great change but for 1 day. Since then, the same problems insist.

Thank you

gona jump on this quickly

you are correct on the yesterdays score it seems that that score is always steady(day before yesterday score 99 yesterday 2 flights 99+2 so 101 today 0 flights it keeps 101 same for tommorow 0 flights it keeps 101 so at our airline TNT it keeps the score and counts up.

hope you are following.

thane the counting

iff i am correct you need to do a sertane ammount off flights to level your current scoring depending on all

example: you need to make at least 2 flights a day to keep the scoring 0

no i also belive Nabeel is curently not working on vacentral, when he goes t phpvms 2.1 he will start developing the VA central further.

gr joeri

• Administrators

The yesterday's score is just that... it's not additive. Joeri is right, you'll need at least 3/4 flights maybe depending on your previous trend to keep the score from going down. The score isn't additive, it's basically based on a rolling average which is logarithmically scaled according to the other factors.

I will look, it's on my list, but it won't be until next week at the soonest I think. I'm a bit slammed with moving the bug tracker over (the old one just got hit with a spam attack, had to clean it), and also with 2.1 being released this weekend.

Actually, if you're averaging now 4 flights a day and it levels down to about 2 flights a day, you will lose some points because that average is decreasing. But since it's rolling, it might be by a few points (max). If you go from something like 3 flights a day to 10 (40 day rolling average), then you will see an increase. But increases for only a few days here and there don't account for much unless they are sustained. That's where it account for the overall activity. So you can't do a week of 10-15 flights a day and then 5-6 flights a day. But in the end, you can do something like ((flights in the last 40 days / 40) * some variable weight) to give you the score

I'm planning to also have more stats per airline with the rolling averages and some detailed information about that so then points esp are a bit easier to see how they come. But I've just been getting slammed these last few weeks.

Thank you both for extended replies!

Actually, our day flights are 4-6 per day, every day, and the score is still going down hehe! Also the yesterday score is still 403 for 1 week, i think it should have changed somehow.

Anyway, it gives me an interest to visit vacentral and look, if something changed or not (hehe) and it is not so important for now, i gues we can all wait for Nabeel to finish other jobs and then have a look!

• Administrators

Thank you both for extended replies!

Actually, our day flights are 4-6 per day, every day, and the score is still going down hehe! Also the yesterday score is still 403 for 1 week, i think it should have changed somehow.

Anyway, it gives me an interest to visit vacentral and look, if something changed or not (hehe) and it is not so important for now, i gues we can all wait for Nabeel to finish other jobs and then have a look!

I will look, I promise! :) But I appreciate you alerting me to issues

• 2 years later...

Pretty useful information above I was looking for.

I have a question. My VA had over 365 registered members 2 weeks ago, but more than 200 of them were VIPs, means those who never fly, they just register account & keep on complaining about Repaints & other download goodies. Out of 365 pilots less than 50 were frequent flyer. So I decided to get rid of these VIPs & get my VA ranking higher on VAcentral. I began deleting VIP members one by one. I've deleted more than 50 for a trail just to observe the impact on ranking on VAcentral & by next week slow & steady my VA ranking dropped down from 49 to 55. My pilots mostly fly Charter Flights without booking any from schedule list. During drop down from 49 to 55 the frequency of flight operations have been usual as it used to be on any recent days without any major variation.

I was planned to delete more than 200 inactive pilots & keep the ratio of Total Pilot vs Active Pilots more favorable. There is one another major prob with my VA is that we get new registrations almost daily, sometime 2-3 new registrations same day. So its a prob to control the active vs inactive list. Out of avg 15 new registrations 1 Pilots continues flying & rest of others are useless. After deleting 50 pilots we have 20 new registrations and got only one flying for us.

So my question is does deletion of Pilots affects immediate ranking of VA on VAcentral.net? Please advice me if I shall go ahead deleting all remaining inactive ones or not.

What is the use of people on your list who don´t fly. Whenever somebody joins V-Bird they have 14 days to fly their first flight. When they don´t do that I delete them from the VA. When somebody have done some flights but then without reason stops receive a e-mail 30 days after their last flight and then they have 14 days to do a flight and if not DELETE:-)

I just want active people within the VA.

Regards,

Cor