General FAQ, Notes & Tips for all Disposable AddOns

Hi,

I am getting lots of private messages regarding how to install or update Disposable Addons, decided to write a simple guide for that ... Hope it helps

1. Where are your addons ?

You can find them here at forum, check Downloads section.

Also you can grab them directly from GitHub too, link to my Github Repositories is also here at the top of this sub-forum.

2. Which source should I use for download ?

I do prefer using GitHub 'cause it is the main source for them and once you get used to downloading things and manually installing/updating your coppies, it would be much easier for you to follow updates. 

GitHub offers nice features to follow a person or a repository itself and once it gets an update, you will be kindly noticed by an email.

3. What is the difference between files hosted here and GitHub ?

Technically nothing, main difference may only be the version. GitHub always offers the latest released version for download, forum files may be some versions back if I forgot updating them.

4. Ok, how should I install/update then ?

Considering you downloaded a release pack from GitHub (please do not download source-code from github, they do contain lots of unnecessary git files in them, download only the release package from there) and not using phpvms module installer. Just extract/unpack the package contents and upload to your server, that's all. Package file names (and repository names) are also the directory names. 

File Name        : DisposableAirlines.zip
Folder Name      : DisposableAirlines
Content Location : root of your phpvms/modules/DisposableAirlines

folder_structure.thumb.png.defcedccabbb6329dfa1363d6bddc386.png

5. When should I update your addons ?

Well, this depends on your needs. I do update my own copies regularly when I make improvements and/or fix bugs. But if you are happy what you have at the moment, you can keep using them without updates too.

6. Why too much updates ?

Because main/core code of phpVms is evolving, I need to keep my addons working and compatible with the core too.

Also the addons are evolving with your feedback, some new features are being added, sometimes performance related improvements being done etc.

And finally, I am not the best backend/frontend developer around, I do mistakes too and to fix my mistakes I need to publish updates :)

7. Do I loose my changes when I update ?

Yes and no. This depends on the update you did and how you did it... If you follow duplicating procedures, then your edits (to blades/views the frontend pages) will be saved but if you choose editing addon files directly or if you edit an addons backend files (like controllers, providers, models etc.) then yes your edits will be gone on each update.

8. What is the so called `Duplicate Procedure` ?

Simple, you download and install the addon. Then duplicate its blade/view/page files and do your edits there.

Example for theme duplicating;

• Install Disposable Theme (or any theme you wish)
  • Make a new folder under root/resources/views/layouts , name it MyTheme
  • Copy theme.json file from Disposable Theme (or the theme you installed) to this folder
  • Edit theme.json file as below

"name"    : "MyTheme",        <== This is the folder name you created
"extends" : "Disposable_v2",  <== This is the folder name of the theme you are duplicating

• Save that file and go to admin -> settings ... There you go, you have a new theme called MyTheme, select it and save, check your site.
  • From now on, you need to copy each file you want to edit from the source theme to your theme.
  • While doing this you need to follow the exact directory structure too
  • So if you want to edit flight details page , then you need to copy flights/show.blade.php from source theme to your theme with the same name and directory structure.

Source : root/resources/views/layouts/Disposable_v2/flights/show.blade.php
Target : root/resources/views/layouts/MyTheme/flights/show.blade.php

This was "Theme Duplicating" , addon duplicating works a little bit different but in a similar way though. You can not duplicate the backend files but all Disposable Modules are ready for blade/view/frontend page duplication. I hope future addons developed by others will have the same ability.

Here is an example for DisposableAirlines module, imagine you want to edit the airline details page, then you need to that blade under your theme folder too but the target will be a little bit different, as below;

Source : root/modules/DisposableAirlines/Resources/views/airline.blade.php
Target : root/resources/views/layouts/MyTheme/modules/DisposableAirlines/airline.blade.php

Disposable Theme v2 has two or three pre-edited module blades, they are there just as examples with slight changes done.

9. Why are your addons are free ? People charging nice amounts for much simple addons !

There are some reasons for that, main ones are;

• I do not want to have "customer - dealer" relationship with you
  • I never put money in front of everything in my life. I do what I like to do, so as long as I enjoy doing that, I do not need money for it :) That simple is my life.

If you really want to give something back to support the development or just for saying thanks, you can send some gifts to me. This may be an addon or a gift coupon from a sim software store (like SimMarket, Aerosoft Store or X-Plane Store or any others you use and I am not aware of).

Direct money donations are of course possible too but makes life harder for me 'cause most of the known platforms are not working in my country (like PayPal, BuymeaCoffee etc). So either you will pay some fees to a bank or me, or we will both pay. Why make already rich people richer for just saying thanks ;)

Also as the last and main resort, you can always say a honest "Thank you", believe me it works. And if you are a religious human being, you can pray too.

Or make a donation to a humanitarian organization, charity in behalf of me (and you together).

10. Do you work as a freelancer ? Can you make me a special addon ? (or any other personal work)

No, sorry. That is not even thinkable :) Why ? Check the above question and you will see why.

Also I "normally" do work for an airline as a flight dispatcher and I do work in shifts, most of the time I am not even in my country/home and travel aboard to do base duties. So this simply means that I have not much time for simulation and/or development of things. Of course my notebook travels with me, but believe me when you are in a different country with lots of work related things to do, opening that notebook and spending some time in front of it for fun is not always possible.

You are getting lots of updates and core code changes by me 'cause due to covid restrictions worldwide, I am at home but with the vaccines going on around the world and people getting ready for holidays, this may change soon and I may start working back. And i really hope to work back this summer.

11. Should I read the readme files ?

Yes, even after reading this forum post, that readme file may contain some specific information too. Please just have a look, this forum post mostly covers the basics but that readme file will be that module/addon specific. So again. yes read it.

I do not want to use that famous abbreviation (RTFM) but it is really true, that file is for you to read not for me :)

12. Why are you rude and not being nice to people ?

Am I ? Really... Unfortunately text does not have feelings and our main communication is done via text messages (discord, forum, email, telegram, whatsapp you name it) Even though I try to use the emoji icons in my messages to express my current mood I mostly forgot to add them and honestly I never want to hurt people's feelings, it is just not me.

If I really believe that I will somehow hurt your feelings or be rude against you, I just stop communicating with you. And for some people I just block them that's it.

So when reading my questions or replies etc. keep in mind that I just ask a question, in a moodless way, neutral. A plain question, it is not asked to blame you or to make you feel bad, it is just for me to understand the matter more clearly so I can think about it and offer some help if I can.

Maybe it is my job or my brain works just like that... Simple questions, simple answers, simple solutions.

----------------------

I think this is all (for now), if you have any more questions or if you need any support (for non documented issues) please do not hesitate to ask. While doing this please make sure you are using the latest version of the addon and please use the proper forum topic ;)

Best wishes,

Disposable

Edited by DisposableHero
typo

13. Do i need to install all of your addons ?

Of course not, every one of them is capable of working alone without others. So you can install only what you need.

Only detail here is, once you have Disposable Tools & Widgets addon installed, it starts acting like the flagship for others. Mainly for helpers (like fuel weight conversions or other little helper functions/methods being used all over the addons including the theme). Even that flagship is not mandatory, you can have only the theme , or only Disposable Airlines module.

14. Will your addons work on a fresh installed phpvms v7 ?

Sure, some features may not be visible until you have some flights, airports, pireps but they do work well on a fresh install too.

15. Are your addons php8 compatible ?

Mostly, I believe so. Since php8 is not officially supported by phpvms v7, my addons follow the same logic. I expect them to work but if you encounter a strange error, please add your php version to the question so we can save time and focus on it instead of looking every other detail.

16. Will your addons work with imported data (from phpvms v5.xx series) ?

Probably they will, but you may see some errors popping out somewhere due to the database differences between v5.xx and v7, mainly they will be related to missing airports or flights or users etc, just let me know if that happens so we can think on possible solutions.

17. Will your addons work with imported data (from any other VA management software) ?

Not sure about that, this really depends on how the import is done and how much the source data is compatible with phpvms v7. No quarantees here, sorry :(