How to update a PHPVMS 7.0 installation with different folders?

aarbee

For a friend I did install PHPVMS 7.0.0-dev+221130.ced201.
Where the files are not in the public_html folder but on a PHPVMS folder on the same hight has public_html.
See the attachment.

Back then when I did do the installation, it seemed to us, that all should be put in a separate directory.

I read the update documents, and it went well for another va, So I know a tiny bit. But I would like to have some advice on where to put the files now?

Thanks ahead,

RobB

vlmvapng.png

Thanks for explaining. That is what I expected, somewhat, but I got lost in to which folder to use.

Is my assumption correct that the installationmethod was different a few years ago? Or did my mind mess with me?

The installation I did for my va, I did put everthing in the public_html  folder. And it feels a bit more logical.
Is it possible to change the setup of my friends VA where the bulk of files in the PHPVMS folder, into put all into public_html?

RobB

6 hours ago, aarbee said:

Thanks for explaining. That is what I expected, somewhat, but I got lost in to which folder to use.

Is my assumption correct that the installationmethod was different a few years ago? Or did my mind mess with me?

The installation I did for my va, I did put everthing in the public_html  folder. And it feels a bit more logical.
Is it possible to change the setup of my friends VA where the bulk of files in the PHPVMS folder, into put all into public_html?

RobB

Installing methods did not changed, they were always same (only 1st and 2nd suggestion was swapped due to their usage frequency) ... Unfortunately, what you did is the worst and most unsecure method to install / run phpvms v7, and it was always like that.

What your friend did back in time was one of the suggested methods and it is still ok to use v7.

https://docs.phpvms.net/installation/uploading

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Ouch. LOL.

Can I do an upgrade/reinstall to my installation in order to fix this?
Or should I do a reinstallation? Including deletion of the complete database.

RobB

Edited by aarbee

Posted (edited)

Forgive me my stupidity, but I am not a developer. I am an technical manager like sharepoint manager. So I know a tiny bit, and can read things. And make some scripts.
But you are a champ.

I did a couple of things.

1. Make a copy of all the files.
  2. Create a PHPVMS foler on the toplevel and copy  all files into there. Deleted all from public_html
  3. Copy the files from public into the root of public_html and got an server 500 error.
  4. But I learned from another tip you gave me, and deleted all under bootstrap/cache.
  5. And it worked.
  6. Then looked into the sending mail issue. It is nice that the host is putting a different portnumber on there helpdesksite and it does not work. 😉 So after fiddeling out that, I could send emails.

Thank you for your great support.

RobB

Edited by aarbee
text
  • Like 1

I am not a developer either :) So we are same, in fact you can be better than me (considering your technical knowledge on Sharepoint), I am an OCC Manager of a real airline, just doing all these virtual aviation stuff and development as a hobby to somehow clear my mind from daily workload ;)

What you did was the correct way to be honest, you only missed the cache stuff in the beginning but solved it after getting the server error. Glad to hear that you solved the mail stuff too, in that part, we really can not help people much as it is 99% of the time custom and not generic stuff to advise easily.

Enjoy your updated and moved v7 :)