Everybody wants to be staff, but no-one makes the effort!

stuartpb

I started advertising for positions with my VA last week, and I've had a steady trickle of applications for those positions so far. One thing I've noticed from most of these applicants is that they seem to be more after the staff jobs, purely because of the status of staff jobs, and aren't really interested in helping running a VA. Some even seem to be not interested in taking advantage of the flights and everything else that the VA offers. It's a shame really, because the positions available offer up the chance for those who take them to have a real say in how the VA develops. I would have jumped at that chance when I started getting into VA flying. I've now stated that anyone wanting to apply has to first rack up a minimum amount of hours as a member, before they will be considered for any posts. I didn't really want to do that, but it seems like the easy way to sort the big talkers from those who are really interested.

Is this something that's common with VA's, and you guys see a lot? Or am I just the unlucky one?

Good staff is hard to find. I have for a few years now a very steady staff around me and luckuly without

much changes over the years. I had one that my staff that donate some money because he could

do it in name of his company and then he tought he could run the show. he is not a staffmember anymore :lol:

When you start you just need to see what people want to do for your VA and put them on trial to see if they

do what they promise.

Good luck.

regards,

Cor

• Moderators

Indeed i agree with Cor, when i started it was just me for the first year and then Chris came along who stepped up amazingly and basically runs the operation now, we work well as a team and it really is difficult to find mature trustworthy dedicated staff.

Im sure he is registered on here somewhere so when he reads this im sure he will chuckle ;)

One part of advise that i could give would be to assign the applicants a remedial task then if they perform well on that then offer them a temp position to see how they go, basically do the same as you would in real life, treat it as a business except this is work for the love of it :)

Thanks guys for the replies. Maybe I've gone the wrong way around when it comes to staff. At the end of the day, I can manage the VA myself for now easily enough, but I wanted potential members to see that there were staff opportunities available now within the VA. I probably shouldn't have worried about that, and concentrated more on just getting members and letting them know that there would be opportunities become available as the VA grows. Oh well, you live and learn :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

yeah Stuart,

You just got to find someone who does really give in dedication and who is willing to really make the effort to the virtual airlines.

Consider by getting staff who has been at your VA for a long time and fly alot (maybe) and see what they are really into for giving dedication. Perhaps staff who they have been at other VA's for a long time.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...