VA Cental Ranting

Bluemax

Good morning Gents,

I have an interesting question concerning the VA Central rating system. Based on the criteria posted at VA Central: We as a Military (USAF) VA are penalized for our lack of profitable routes, or lack of scheduled routes in general. We don't carry Pax so we have no financial logs with a profit or loose column. We don't pay for fuel....tax payers do. My point is this, phpvms was developed for the commercial VA and it works. But with us, 99.9999% of all our flights are charter based with maybe a handful of scheduled routes. We fly cargo basically. So technically there are no financial ledgers that we are concerned with. So much of what is listed below under "Tips for great success" leave us or any mil VA at a disadvantage. Is there any plans for a mil version of phpvms?

Closing note.....someone needs to go to the VA Central site and make spelling corrections in this information below. I fixed them in this post.

Rankings

Ranks are calculated using several factors - the percentage of active pilots, the percentage of your routes which have been flown, the frequency of those routes, and the frequency and number of Pireps filed. These, and several other factors, influence your airlines rank. This allows for fair play; smaller airlines remain competitive, even compared to larger airlines. There are two sets of ranks - one based on performance, and the other based on finances. They do not affect each other.

Updates and additional information

Your VA's website will automatically be queried at the appropriate time for updated information, so there is no manual process involved in updating the airline's stats. If you see a discrepancy, wait a day. Usually, updates occur the night following a PIREP, or once a week if there have been no Pireps.

Tips for great success

Enter proper flight times in your schedules

An airline with 30 pilots and 20 active will rank better than an airline with 100 pilots and 40 active

Use an ACARS program for best accuracy for fuel and flight time

Make sure you have prices for all your routes (if you don't, you still have to pay for it!)

Enter expenses properly - you will be audited (like the real thing!); if there are no expenses, you get docked $20,000/month

Using the live fuel prices gives you extra points

In all honesty I don't really know what the demand is for military versions of PHP VMS. Since I don't think that many are around, but forgive me if I'm wrong.

Kind Regards, Matthew

I'm a realist and I know there will never be a phpvms geared for military VA's but my question was the rating system. That if your a charter VA basically, it is what we are, your sort of, out of luck. I'm not complaining we are 22nd dropped two because of the summer months. It is a general question, understanding how all this comes together.

• Moderators

I'm a realist and I know there will never be a phpvms geared for military VA's but my question was the rating system. That if your a charter VA basically, it is what we are, your sort of, out of luck. I'm not complaining we are 22nd dropped two because of the summer months. It is a general question, understanding how all this comes together.

this is now the second time you start this tread. in my eyes it is the 2 places dropped. for the last 2 months my airline is flying like only charters but our rating is still counting as Nabeel staded tons off times its mostly the number off pireps send to Va central ther amount of pilots is also a factor but not in a high %.

yet again to me it sounds like you don't like the 2 places dropped and now you are complaining again just as last time

this is now the second time you start this tread. in my eyes it is the 2 places dropped. for the last 2 months my airline is flying like only charters but our rating is still counting as Nabeel staded tons off times its mostly the number off pireps send to Va central ther amount of pilots is also a factor but not in a high %.

yet again to me it sounds like you don't like the 2 places dropped and now you are complaining again just as last time

I apologize for the additional thread, I couldn't find my other post of some time back to see what was the response..........sorry, won't do it again. Not important.....I'll leave it alone...thanks

The two place drop doesn't bother me. I'm actually surprised we are where we are. I was just commenting that we moved from 20 to 22 because things have been slow as many are on vacation and busy during the summer months. I won't bother the forums with these kinds of questions in the future. Again, my apologies.

It's not another version of phpVMS that is needed for you, but a separate leader board on VACentral that ranks you based on other factors. That seems to be your dilemma. However, I don't see the problem as something on Nabeel's side, but yours. See, I believe you can likely figure it out so that you can be considered equal by doing the following:

Tips for great success

Create a route for each of your charters, so this can be achieved.

An airline with 30 pilots and 20 active will rank better than an airline with 100 pilots and 40 active

Nothing different about your setup with this bullet point

Make sure you have prices for all your routes (if you don't, you still have to pay for it!)

As point 1, create a route and fill out all details properly. However, just simulate the cost as an expense you'd bill to the tax payer...a little role-playing, like changing your stats page to have a heading such as "Cost-effectiveness to the taxpayer" is a way to simulate the cost and have fun.

Enter expenses properly - you will be audited (like the real thing!); if there are no expenses, you get docked $20,000/month

As above point, simulate the expenses as taxpayer's cost of running your unit.

As above point.

It's not another version of phpVMS that is needed for you, but a separate leader board on VACentral that ranks you based on other factors. That seems to be your dilemma. However, I don't see the problem as something on Nabeel's side, but yours. See, I believe you can likely figure it out so that you can be considered equal by doing the following:

Tips for great success

Create a route for each of your charters, so this can be achieved.

As point 1, create a route and fill out all details properly. However, just simulate the cost as an expense you'd bill to the tax payer...a little role-playing, like changing your stats page to have a heading such as "Cost-effectiveness to the taxpayer" is a way to simulate the cost and have fun.

As above point, simulate the expenses as taxpayer's cost of running your unit.

As above point.

You Apparently didn't read my post. We are an Air Force VA. We have no scheduled routes, flight times are random and flights are created VIA charter. But having said this, I have dropped the subject. I would close the post, but don't know how. I do appreciate your feedback.

• Like 2

I absolutely read your post. I took the time to reply to you because I believe there are ways around your dilemma, they just involve time and effort. I was a member of Unity Security Force for 10 years as well as having served 11 years in the military in real life, 5 of which were as a pilot, so I know a thing or two about tasking a virtual military community. They are a VSOA on VATSIM through my and others hard work. We utilized an operations board where we created tasking for operations, alongside regular occurring routine flights, and we entered those routes into the database of our custom system, which is not too dissimilar to phpVMS. Pilots could then file a PIREP when they'd completed the tasking.

So the effort would be to create a form that a pilot would submit with a route request, which you'd then add to the database and assign a flight number. If you're confident in PHP, this wouldn't be that difficult to setup as an automated system that added it if they pilot had sufficient user rights. Then they could open ACARS, fly the route and submit the PIREP. Thereby random flights become scheduled through a workaround system. You then wouldn't need to utilize charter and wouldn't be "penalized" as you believe you are.

I absolutely read your post. I took the time to reply to you because I believe there are ways around your dilemma, they just involve time and effort. I was a member of Unity Security Force for 10 years as well as having served 11 years in the military in real life, 5 of which were as a pilot, so I know a thing or two about tasking a virtual military community. They are a VSOA on VATSIM through my and others hard work. We utilized an operations board where we created tasking for operations, alongside regular occurring routine flights, and we entered those routes into the database of our custom system, which is not too dissimilar to phpVMS. Pilots could then file a PIREP when they'd completed the tasking.

So the effort would be to create a form that a pilot would submit with a route request, which you'd then add to the database and assign a flight number. If you're confident in PHP, this wouldn't be that difficult to setup as an automated system that added it if they pilot had sufficient user rights. Then they could open ACARS, fly the route and submit the PIREP. Thereby random flights become scheduled through a workaround system. You then wouldn't need to utilize charter and wouldn't be "penalized" as you believe you are.

Tutmeiste, I wasn't trying to be rude, so if I came across that way I'm sorry. First, I want to say I'm impressed with your Unity Security Force Experience, in my world they are the best of the best as multi platform mil program go. I was there for about six months back in 2009. It was far to involved and demanding for me at the time, but have tremendous respect for the organization.

My problem, is I personally have no experience in php coding. If I did, our two programs at www.usavamc.com/phpvms and www.usavsac.com/phpvms_vsac wouldn't look so cluttered. We have a lot going on in both programs, simply because of that lack of knowledge the sites lack style. We use a lot of ribbons and medals. but when viewed from the pilot profile page their listed in a vertical column, not very impressive. I do try and work around stuff and often forced to create html pages and link to them which requires manual updating.

The rating at VA Central is not an important thing and I understand phpvms was not developed with a military VA in mind and there are quite a few of us using phpvms in spite of a comment read above. But what the rating does for us, is we have many members that found us at VA Central and based on that rating.

There is a lot I would like to do and paying for it is not an issue. I know the folks a simpilotgroup.com, FStools and others create skins but I'm looking for additional templates - modules- or whatever to allow me to do things I can't do within phpvms as it is now. It is still the best freeware product for a VA and it is perfect for the commercial VA.

The things you suggest I understand, just can't make it so. The most difficult issue is having to communicate complex questions and getting help via snale mail and forums. We use TS3 or Skype to solve problems, but if you need help with phpvms it is snale mail and forums. Sometime you get a response and other times your just ignored. It depends on whether the reader is interested in your question or issue.

As for my comment of "feeling penalized" It wasn't intended to sound like a complaint. I understand the factors that effect the ratings. I have learned from experience here on the forums is if you don't word your question in the proper demeanor there are those who have made it their personal task in life to rebuke, correct or call you to the carpet if they don't like the way you present your issue or question. This is why a prefer live communications verses email and posting. But it is what it is and this is the only avenue available for help.

• Moderators

Tutmeiste, I wasn't trying to be rude, so if I came across that way I'm sorry. First, I want to say I'm impressed with your Unity Security Force Experience, in my world they are the best of the best as multi platform mil program go. I was there for about six months back in 2009. It was far to involved and demanding for me at the time, but have tremendous respect for the organization.

My problem, is I personally have no experience in php coding. If I did, our two programs at www.usavamc.com/phpvms and www.usavsac.com/phpvms_vsac wouldn't look so cluttered. We have a lot going on in both programs, simply because of that lack of knowledge the sites lack style. We use a lot of ribbons and medals. but when viewed from the pilot profile page their listed in a vertical column, not very impressive. I do try and work around stuff and often forced to create html pages and link to them which requires manual updating.

The rating at VA Central is not an important thing and I understand phpvms was not developed with a military VA in mind and there are quite a few of us using phpvms in spite of a comment read above. But what the rating does for us, is we have many members that found us at VA Central and based on that rating.

There is a lot I would like to do and paying for it is not an issue. I know the folks a simpilotgroup.com, FStools and others create skins but I'm looking for additional templates - modules- or whatever to allow me to do things I can't do within phpvms as it is now. It is still the best freeware product for a VA and it is perfect for the commercial VA.

The things you suggest I understand, just can't make it so. The most difficult issue is having to communicate complex questions and getting help via snale mail and forums. We use TS3 or Skype to solve problems, but if you need help with phpvms it is snale mail and forums. Sometime you get a response and other times your just ignored. It depends on whether the reader is interested in your question or issue.

As for my comment of "feeling penalized" It wasn't intended to sound like a complaint. I understand the factors that effect the ratings. I have learned from experience here on the forums is if you don't word your question in the proper demeanor there are those who have made it their personal task in life to rebuke, correct or call you to the carpet if they don't like the way you present your issue or question. This is why a prefer live communications verses email and posting. But it is what it is and this is the only avenue available for help.

some off these markings i find verry strange.

about the websites iff you just ask for things in the correct forum here on vms you will get awnsers but iff i recall you made some bold statemends in the pas i belive so manny off use are not in the mood to help.

on the point off the websites just ask your question maby with a screenshot or a paint made by yourself to state what you are trying to do .

on the rest i wont commetn annymore iff you are only a "charter" airline vacentral will still perfectly work.

Sorry for hijacking this thread but when did you release the pilot manager.......

Classic :)

If your wondering what im on about http://www.simpilotgroup.com/manager/index.php

I think it's actually quite new! Looks good aswell.

And as for the Charter center the demo does look good indeed and it would be great for my airline too (mimicing the realworld charter operations). I'm just praying it won't be one of the more expensive ones at 50$ :lol: Don't think my wallet could stretch that far unfortunatey. Hope it will be at least 20$. Sorry I'm hijacking here too now!