An Issue

G-NEWC

Quick question...

Not exactly phpVMS related in itself, but....

Someone has copied my site. They have taken the source from each and every page, changed the wording (in some cases, word) and my images are shown, as well as the website being identical apart from having different member names, pireps etc. It actually looks, to me, like they have downloaded the whole directory from /home upwards and uploaded it onto their server. Now, correct me if i'm wrong, but this is an absolute disgrace, i've spent hours, probably hundreds of hours making, designing, editing, coding, you name it, with it, and i refuse to let some thieving scum take advantage of it.

...which leaves me thinking....how can i protect my site from this happening again?

And if you are wondering, i have made contact with the site owner and have assured them that if this does not change in 48hrs i will be taking further action.

Thanks in Advance,

The disable right click is not the answer. Firefox has an option to view source of any page through the view tab. In the past I have found a java script code that scrambles your code. So if someone were to copy it again, they wouldn't be able to get anything out of it. I would be upset too. Hope you get this resolved.

Thanks for your replies...

@Tom -> Thanks for your message in TS, (i got it but was asleep at 2am this morning :P), infact i already have anti-right click installed, but as Eddie mentioned you can Ctrl+U the page in FF and it displays the code in perfect form.

I think i will end up doing something like that very shortly, Eddie...i'll be looking into something like that, however, i believe these arseholes have downloaded the whole directory and transferred it onto their server.

Exactly the same files are in the "/lib/skins/template_name" folder, and the name of their displayed template is identical to mine. What pisses me off is that they haven't even bothered to rename it, nor remove the Teamspeak banner from their frontpage that clearly displays OUR members and OUR airline livery. I find it hard to understand the sheer bare faced cheek of it.

I tried a few months ago to disallow access to these folders by the use of permissions; this did not work if i remember correctly and simply lead to a permissions/template error on the site.

Perhaps one for Nabeel -> is there any way to stop people snooping on the directories of phpvms without changing the permissions?

Thanks once again. I'm going to give them 48hours to remove before i post their site. I already have screenshots of everything that i need to post, so if they don't remove it they will have an excellent reputation by the time i'm finished.

-James

Hey,

Well i kinda didnt realise that you couldnt Disable the CTRL+U however about the file permissions there is some way you can make them either re-direct to the front page or simple block people from accessing them,

Ive seen websites, and im sure you have, which when you go to a directory sometimes they say - "You do not have the correct permissions to access these files" Maybe if you could do something like that james?

And also, providing you block access to the stylesheets, then , if they copied the source, all they would get is a bunch of coloumns + pics.

Thanks, Thomas.

• Administrators

That's a tough problem - usually you can't stop them from check out your source/downloading images.

You can setup an htaccess file to protect directories - I did put blank index.php files in some directories, but obviously the skins and stuff can't be protected that way.

I'm assuming you use Apache, try some of these links out

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=htaccess+protect+directory&aq=f&aqi=g1&oq=&fp=29d519f5a662511e

This is faster

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=htaccess+no+index&aq=f&aqi=&aq=f&aqi=g2&oq=&fp=29d519f5a662511e