[Fixed] Inactive Pilots

TAV1702

In light of recent talks about pilot ranks, I failed to ask one question.

I want to create a Inactive pilot rank. That is easy enough, BUT what to do about the hours? Do I set it for some un godly amount so no other pilot gets updated to that rank? Meaning that the inactive pilot gets this rank manually via the ACP?

It would be great if the system recoginzed users who have not filed a pirep in say 3 months and move them inactive and give them that rank as well.  ;)

Well, The reason why I say that is, because I fly for another VA from time to time and they have theirs set up like that. Once a pilot goes inactive for 3 months, it moves them to inactive and when they file a pirep, it automatically brings them back as active instead of getting pruned like a BUNCH of VA's tend to do when life gets in the way of a video game.  ;)

It would save loads of work on admin side, though not so sure how much work it would be to do on your end. Most likely more than I care to imagine.  ;D

Well really there is none. let me paint the following picture for you if I may.

I join a VA called MyVA. MyVA tells me I MUST fly 10 hours a month or see ya later and sorry Charlie. I really think that is bogus. They do not pay my electric or internet bill there for I have to work and as well I have an old lady and 3 kids. I miss my 10 hours this month and they out me. Fine then F off! Oh and what if my computer crashes and I can't afford to fix it for 3 or 4 months because I'm busy paying for life and 3 kids? I got pruned for taking care of life and NOT playing a video game.  ???

Now my VA on the other hand, caters to old 36 year old fogies such as myself. If you can fly great! If not, we'll see you when you get back.

So basically what I was getting at was, if they do not fly for say 3 months, it moves them to inactive where they remain and would NOT show up on pilots list taking up space and sql resources. Every time that info is called on to that page it is eating up a sql querys. So lets save some resource by moving them to an inactive status saving the website time and space and resources. Easier said than done I am sure.  ;D

Then in 2 or 3 or 4 months when  they come back, IF they do, all they do is file a single pirep and tah dah! they are active again. Once again, easier said than done I am more than sure.  ;) They didn't get pruned, and I retained a pilot in the process and his feelings were not hurt for getting pruned off the list.  ;)

So inactive verses active in the end only means one thing

Active = using the system

In Active = Not using the system and eating up resources.

Well, lol Sorry. I did not mean for it to sound as if it was a resource eater. I have been modding phpBB for a very long time now... Well, I never wrote my own mods, just helped clean them up and all we ever tried to do was think of ways to slim down a sql call or two where possible. I Really need to get out of this mode of thinking.

It was just a thought that might work for some VA's and not for others. I know some like to stick to their guns and prune pilots when able. Or Trim The Fat so to speak. I just don't care to do that.

Anyhow, I'll take a back seat on this one. Have chatted about it long enough.

Have your self a fine day Nabeel.  Thanks for your time today.

• Administrators

No problem, it's on my list of things to look at.

Trimming queries here and there is not a bad thing at all. That's the exact mindset I'm in also. Actually, the pilotdata.class.php has some rudimentary caching. But I haven't turned on the database level caching just yet which exists, haven't had the time to experiment with that just yet

• Administrators

Added in the next beta, config option for days to set pilots retired, set to check the day of the last pirep, or if there's no PIREP, the join date. Uses two queries.. but there's an option to shut it off.

Then from there, it's upto you what to do with it