Adding Airports

flyalaska

Have some problem adding airports. My VA is based in Alaska, and most of our routes only have 3 letter codes. In the section where you add airport, it states a 4 letter code. Is there a way to let it accept 3 letter airports. I am unable to add a airport. I get this error.

There was an error adding the airport and if I do a look up for a 4 letter airport is stays in "Fetching Data..."

Any ideas?

Eddie

• Administrators

If it keeps saying 'fetching data', close the box and try again. Sometimes the web-service locks up.

I get data from www.geonames.org, what are some of the airports you're adding? Enter them in the search box on geonames to see if they come up. I don't think I restrict it to three in the code (though I need the ICAO). I can check it.

If they don't, then I guess you'll have to do it manually :(

• Administrators

Then you have to enter "K13S", since that's the proper ICAO name. Geonames needs the 4 character ICAO code. But you can add the airport with 3 letters without using the "Find" to get the information. I would enter the proper ICAO code.

Also, geonames doesn't have that airport in its database (as K13S), so you will have to manually enter the latitude/longitude. I would also send an email to geonames with the airports which are missing so they can add them into their database.

• Administrators

Interesting, that's weird, that other site says:

ICAO  K13S

IATA 13S

Either way, geonames always wants the ICAO, or 4 letters so you have to enter the K either way to ID the country.

As for an email, try info@geonames.org, I'm not sure if you'll get an answer though. Unfortunately, they're the only ones I have been able to find that has an XML/JSON service I can "talk" to.

• Administrators

I guess it's "technically" with the K on the front since that's how itll be referred internationally, depends on the source I guess. FS does some weird stuff.

What's the error? I tried on my site, I was able to do it, just don't hit Look Up, go directly to add.