Can't get off home page

KenHughes

I installed a test version of phpVMS on an old domain and it worked perfectly (once some host-related problems with mySQL were sorted out).

I bought my new domain name, set up the domain and did the same, clean install of phpVMS on the new domain, but I can't navigate away from the home page on this install. Neither can I log in - it just returns to the home page with the non-logged in menu items showing. The log-in isn't being recorded in the database either.

The URL changes to reflect the menu item chosen, but the page doesn't display.

checkinstall.php and checkdb.php return OK for all items.

I have PHP 5 installed and I installed phpBB into a sub-domain to see what happend, and that works OK, so not a PHP problem, I don't think.

It's obviously not a phpVMS bug - the application works perfectly on the test domain - but has anyone seen this problem before, and if so, how did you fix it?

My host's support is being less than helpful, but I think this is a problem they are going to have to fix. I'd just like to be able to give them a pointer.

It is probably a sql error, try uninstalling it, and doing a fresh install, something might have f'd upp during the upload and install.

Cheers

Dan C

Thanks Dan, I'll try a complete reinstall again.

I did it yesterday, but I used the same database and user.

I've deleted those and made new ones.

One thing I've noticed - the permissions on the folders (it's a Windows system with IIS7) are different - that may be a clue?

Ken

Edited to add: Reinstalled - same problem. local.config.php was written OK, so it's not a write problem. Database was populated OK, so not a MySQL problem. Link foranyone who wants to take a look: FlyNetVA

Edited by KenHughes

Take a look in the core/templates folder, other then that, try skinning it, and see if it works. I do not know what the wrrite permissions should be on a windows system, apache systems seem to be better.

Cheers

Dan C

Tried that, no difference. I installed Brian's Template1 skin, which worked straight out of the box on the test site - no difference.

I'm going to delete the whole domain, then recreate it on the server, see if there was a problem when the domain was originally created.

If that doesn't work, I'll set up a virtual domainand point the new domain name to the test domain, which works fine.

Any one know of a GOOD cheap hosting service? (I know, good AND cheap don't go well together). <_<

• Administrators

Ah you're using IIS - that's the issue. IIS doesn't properly fill in the $_SERVER variable sometimes when running in CGI mode. You can try ISAPI, or go to a Linux host if possible. Windows servers have all sorts of kooky issues with PHP/MySQL. You can search to see if there was any resolution, it has come up in the past, but I can't remember ATM.

As for a host, scroll down to the "Shameless Plug" with the graphic for Site5, they're great:

http://forum.phpvms.net/page/index.html?record=1

Ah you're using IIS - that's the issue. IIS doesn't properly fill in the $_SERVER variable sometimes when running in CGI mode. You can try ISAPI, or go to a Linux host if possible. Windows servers have all sorts of kooky issues with PHP/MySQL. You can search to see if there was any resolution, it has come up in the past, but I can't remember ATM.

As for a host, scroll down to the "Shameless Plug" with the graphic for Site5, they're great:

http://forum.phpvms.net/page/index.html?record=1

Thanks Nabeel.

I passed on your comment about IIS not properly filling in the $_SERVER variable.

I deleted the domain, re-created it and still got the same problem. The host support has until tomorrow to fix it, or I will be joining Site5 (and I will click on your referral link).

Ken

• Administrators

Thanks Nabeel.

I passed on your comment about IIS not properly filling in the $_SERVER variable.

I deleted the domain, re-created it and still got the same problem. The host support has until tomorrow to fix it, or I will be joining Site5 (and I will click on your referral link).

Ken

Sounds good. I believe the host switching it to an ISAPI module is what fixed it in the past. But IMO, in the long run, you're better off with a Linux host. Permissions issues are a bit easier to handle, and PHP goes with *nix a bit easier.

Good luck!

Sounds good. I believe the host switching it to an ISAPI module is what fixed it in the past. But IMO, in the long run, you're better off with a Linux host. Permissions issues are a bit easier to handle, and PHP goes with *nix a bit easier.

Good luck!

Thanks Nabeel.

I've found out what the difference between the two sites is. The older one is running under IIS6, the new one is under IIS7.

I've asked them to move the new domain to an older server, but eventually, they're going to upgrade them all and I'll be back with the same problem.

Still, it should give me time to run out the year's worth of "service" that I've paid for, then I can move without losing money on the deal.

Ken.

Edit: Issue resolved. It was ISAPI. Once the support team discovered that this was the difference between the test site, which was working, and the new site, which wasn't, they got into gear and installed the ISAPI. All is now good. :)

Edited by KenHughes