jNewsBar Question [Solved]

TAV1702

First off, Happy Thanksgiving to anyone on the boards that is celebrating today. Hope you have a safe and happy holiday.

Now on to the question. I bought the jNewsBar script for $3. it is a nifty little script. Issue is I can't make it work for my new bootstrap skin I am working on. Has anyone here used it and if so were you able to get it working? And if so, how? I worked on it last night for 2 hours before I gave up. the author of said script says it is a phpVMS thing not a script thing.

When i activate it, it is on the page and showing up, but no css and no animation or form. it is just a non styled list on top of my website.

Any help would be great. take care guys.

Ray

Edited by TAV1702

I actually got it working. I guess I just got frustrated last night and needed to take a break. I started messing with it right after I posted this and got it working. I did learn that my jquery I am calling is way out of date. Now I have to fgigure out how to update it?

Back to the jNewsBar, I got it all working now but the 3 controllers in the right hand corner for opening up the news bar and the other 2 for going back in either direction.

http://prntscr.com/dbdx9p

I actually got it working. I guess I just got frustrated last night and needed to take a break. I started messing with it right after I posted this and got it working. I did learn that my jquery I am calling is way out of date. Now I have to fgigure out how to update it?

Back to the jNewsBar, I got it all working now but the 3 controllers in the right hand corner for opening up the news bar and the other 2 for going back in either direction.

http://prntscr.com/dbdx9p

I think it is because I didn't upload the fonts folder. I bet I upload it and the next and open controllers work.

Ahhhh I thought I had it solved. Now my slider quit working. :wacko: Back to the drawing board. Suppose it is a jquery clash maybe? I am going to look in the console now. On second thought, here is a link. Take a peak.

**EDITED OUT LINK**

Edited by TAV1702

Its a work in progress. My skills are not good enough to do from scratch so I am scraping by. I wish you could see that slider work. It is pretty cool. it even has a youtube embedded in it.

Is the slider working for you when you viewed it? I have the jnewsbar working but not my slider. And to be honest, I am at a loss why it stopped working when I installed newsbar. The slider is all 100% .css no java at all.

Edited by TAV1702

Its a work in progress. My skills are not good enough to do from scratch so I am scraping by. I wishyou could see that slider work. It is pretty cool. it even has a youtube embedded in it.

Is the slider working for you when you viewed it? I have the jnewsbar working but not my slider.

Ironically enough i removed all jnewsbar code form the layout and still no slider or dropdown menu.

So i thought it must be the cookie script I added, nope, not that either.

I have it now. Not sure what happened. I had a very fresh backup of the site and deleted all scripts I added and all skin files. I re-uploaded and am now in the process of adding back one by one and doing testsin between to check for errors. So far so good. I have got all back in place but responsive tables. I am not blaming it, but so far that is all I got left to re add and so far no errors. everything appears to be working, but on that note, I am having serious cache issues today. So I might be fooling my self.

Hey Eddie, I got a quick question if you don't mind.

I should be editing the core_htmlhead.php in my skin folder correct and not the default template file? I know the correct answer, i just wanted to make sure as I have never really ported or created my own skin before.

I had a slight headache to man. I got it working flawless actually. It is quite simple once you get around all the other crap.

When you get in the main folder of the download, open the index file and it will open to a switcher I guess it is where you can edit your options for color. When done, take that css and paste it in to your main css file.

Next call the css file in your head section of your layout.php.

Now take the scripts and place them above the </body tag> Like this:

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.xxxxxx.com/xxxxxxx/lib/skins/your skin/js/jNewsbar.jquery.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.xxxxxxx.com/xxxxxxx/lib/skins/your skin/js/jNewsbar.jquery.min.js"></script>
<script>
jQuery(document).ready(function($){
$('div.newstop').jNewsbar({
position : 'top',
effect : 'slideDown',
animSpeed: 500,
pauseTime : 3000,
pauseOnHover : true,
theme : "blue"
});
});
</script>

Obviously replace the X's with your url and the your skin with your skin folder name.

Now you should have uploaded the fonts folder to your site root, the css in your skins css folder and the java files in your js file in your skin.

This leaves the meat and potatoes. The html. This you can add links or what ever you wish. Some get theirs to work by placing the html under the sites footer, and mine only worked above in the header. the html is simple html really.

<div class="newstop">
<h2>NOTAMS</h2>
<ul>
  <li style="font-weight:800 ">Your Airline news here has added all of the active aircraft as well as retro aircraft.</li>
  <li style="font-weight:800 ">Our new Tour System is now online. Great work Simpilot Group. Thanks!</li>
  <li style="font-weight:800 ">New Bootstrap responsive template is being worked on as you can see. Please test it in many devices and let us know what happens.</li>
  <li style="font-weight:800 ">Our projected release date is 12/15/2016</li>
</ul>
  </div>

Something like that man. If you have any issues, give me a shout and we will get together and get yours to work.

Hmm, you seem to be missing the controllers as well (the three arrows all the way to the right). Did you upload the fonts folder? And not sure why that news is dropping out of the red news bar. I didn't have that happen to me.

As far as where to place it, I tried mine in the bottom of site right above the </body> and that failed, scripts ran great down there as expected. I then moved html to top of site and man did things go wrong. I ended up placing it one line below the opening html tag for the page. kinda like this:

</head><!--/head-->
<body>
<?php
/* This should be the first thing you place after a <body> tag
This is also required by phpVMS */
echo $page_htmlreq;
?>
   <header class="navbar navbar-inverse navbar-fixed-top wet-asphalt" role="banner">
  <div class="newstop">
<h2>NOTAMS</h2>
<ul>
  <li style="font-weight:800 ">News item 1</li>
  <li style="font-weight:800 ">News item 2. And it can even include a html link!</li>
  <li style="font-weight:800 ">And yet another news feed post that you can add here if you wish or not. The lines are your choice.</li>
  <li style="font-weight:800 ">And Cut! that's a wrap.</li>
</ul>
  </div><br />
    <div class="container">

Something like that. By my post you can tell all but exactly where I had to place mine. Please note, it pushed my whole page down 20 pix or so and I had to adjust all my css accordingly.

I have mine in the same place as yours and I'm not seeing any issues using firebug. At this point, I'm not sure where the issues lie. I'll dig around more a bit later. I'm currently working on launching a virtual trucking company to go along with my VA so that has my priority at the moment. :-)

Thanks for the assistance so far on this. It has been very helpful!

For American truck simulator? I don't own it. Only euro Truck2 If American wasn't DLC driven I would buy it.

Anyhow back on track lol I will get all kinds of off track here in a minute. :D

here is what i am facing but there is more to the tale than the pic shows.

http://prntscr.com/dcvxjj

Might it be a java issue I wonder? Not only do I have this, but as I noticed this I was no longer able to bid on flights either. I don't get the no route passed for jquery error, I click add to bid and it goes to a all blank page with only my header and footer. No bids make it to the database.

I hate long drawn out days of only debugging. lol I can't move forward until I get this little ditty fixed.

Glad you got that working keith. It really isn't bad once you get it figured out. Nice little script.

**FIXED**

I had to a z-index to my jnewsbar. problem solved with it hiding behind my menu. That issue however had nothing to do with my bids, which is still not solved. It is template related. That is for another thread.

Edited by TAV1702