Completed phpBB Automatic Registration Script

Kieran

Hello everyone,

After much confusion, I have finally completed my phpBB automatic registration script.

Before publically releasing it, I am going to allow a select few to use it for testing/feedback purposes.

Requirements

Your phpBB installation must be in a folder in the root of your installation ie. if your site was in /home/me/, your forum must be in /home/me/forum, for example.

For optimum performance, you must have the ability to add a 'forum' column to your phpVMS 'Pilots' table, which will contain information about a user's linked forum account, to prevent them from registering twice.

Your phpVMS tables and phpBB tables should be in the same database. You can easily transfer tables between databases and then adjust your phpBB config.php if this isn't already the case.

phpBB 3.0.6 or 3.0.7 (Recommended: Update to 3.0.7 before trying)

How it works

Many have tried to use the registration event, but as some virual airlines require manual acceptance of regitsrations, this was not optimal. It would be bad if a user hadn't been accepted, yet they had a forum account.

So, as an alternative, I have decided to include a form, which asks for the users password, and transfers information in the form of several <input type="hidden">'s to the forum account controller.

The form can be customised to fit in with your site, hence maximum flexibility. Personally, I have mine displayed in a lightbox to keep it out of the way.

By adding a column to the pilots table, this means that you can develop further modules to display a user's forum statistics etc. Also, you can create a small php snippet to only display the forum register form to people who do not already have a forum account.

Interested?

I can send you the code via PM. If you are interested in testing it out, please PM me, do not ask on the thread. The script is stable, it won't screw up your phpBB or phpVMS providing the instructions are properly followed.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

i think this piece off scripts went in the storage room i mailed him about 4 weeks ago then he hit a bump and nothing annymore

That looks very cool, but i have a internal fourms that simpilot made and it's more better to manage in one area. But it looks awsome!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

same here iff you want to share plz let me know.

gr joeri

Posted module (SMFRegister 1.0) in the release section. B)

Has anyone ever gotten the phpbb version working copy? If not let me know, maybe we can build one for those that use phpBB. ;)

• Moderators

Hi Dave,

I have a module working where it will register a user when they register through vms, the only thing that i need to do it to add some more code to register them in the registered members user group and its fully functioning.

Basically when a user registers on vms it takes the variables and inserts it in to the forum db i have to manually activate them as they are registered as inactive which suites me fine and add them to the group, i was meant to look at this but never got the time to do so.

Hi Mark1million. Were you able to get your phpBB script to play nice with phpBB updates? I know there was another phpBb script floaing around here that I was able to get to work, but it did not go well with phpBB updates. That is the only concern. As well all know, when phpBb releases updates, that are at great lengths when you have to do it manually.

• 2 years later...