frustrated with new install

ermias

Nabeel,

I am in a process of building a virutal aviation. I am novice to php even if I managed to build a website for the VA.

I am struggling with the following notices and I can't really figure out what they mean. For the moment I am using an exra computre as a server to practice the whole thing befor I appload it to a real host. I am using php 5.2 and mysql 5.1 in appache 22.8 server.

Can you shade help on these?

Notice: Undefined variable: message in C:Program FilesApache Software FoundationApache2.2htdocsphpvmsinstalltemplatess1_db_setup.tpl on line 12

Notice: Undefined index: action in C:Program FilesApache Software FoundationApache2.2htdocsphpvmsinstallinstall.php on line 16

Notice: Undefined index: page in C:Program FilesApache Software FoundationApache2.2htdocsphpvmsinstallinstall.php on line 49

Notice: Use of undefined constant CACHE_TIMEOUT - assumed 'CACHE_TIMEOUT' in C:Program FilesApache Software FoundationApache2.2htdocsphpvmscoreclassesTemplate.class.php on line 50

Do I have to delete all the text in the six fields and fill them or should I insert my answer? If so where? What is the database name? Is it the one I created (phpvms) in mysql?

Sorry for the wave of problems, that is how novices learn.

Thanks and keep the good work up.

Regards, ermias

• Administrators

Hey Ermias,

No prob, we're all here to help out.

Those aren't errors per-say. How did you setup your local server?

Are you using xampp or wamp, or did you download apache/php/mysql seperately?

I personally use xampp for local testing, it takes care of settings.

There's an option in the php.ini file called error_reporting. Set it to:

error_reporting=E_ALL ^ E_NOTICE

That'll remove those notices. Not sure why it's displaying them by default.

Also, what version are you using?

And yes, the database name is the one you've created, along with a user/password that has access to it.

Hope that helps, ask whatever questions you need, don't be shy :)

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply and help. I installed the latest php from the download section from phpvms. Do I have to configure some thing in the download? Have I missed something?

I also installed php, apache and my sql separately. I set the report error to =no and the warnings didn't showup this time. When I go to the next step, the screen turnd just plain blank (not the "page not found") like unwritten html page. I have also set the read and write permissions correctly.

By the way where is the database? I don't know what name I should use, I also use only password to start mysql?

Thanks for all the help, ermias

• Moderators

Go to php my admin and create a database "name is in docs" and a user with all permissions, then go to your directory site and put in where the folder is ie, www.yoururl.com/install/install.php thats if you placed in the root, the rest is just following steps.

You seem to have not created a database yet by your description above.

• Administrators

Try using xampp, that'll set everything up (php, apache, mysql). The problem you're having might be from a setting that's not right.

Set error_reporting to E_ALL ^ E_NOTICE, that'll give any errors. With it set to 0 it'll just show a blank page like you're setting.

• Administrators

No problem, I always had troubles with it individually.

Once you install it, goto:

localhost/phpmyadmin

You can create a database from there. The default username is "root" with no password. So you'd enter that into the phpVMS installer

Hi Nabeel,

Good news at the end!! Now I have the pages and the links working. Do I have to go back and setup the tables on mysql since I don't see them?

Next qetion how do I link the whole 'phpvms' setup with my website to call it? At the moment i open it by typing http://localhost/phpvms/.

And the last (at least for tonight) how can I start the live map?

This is for now, I am sure I will have tons to ask. I will also search the forum.

Thanks in advance, ermias.

• Administrators

What tables in mysql?

You have to upload it to your site. phpVMS is design to "be the site", but you'll have to upload it, and change the URL in the core/local.config.php file

Live map, you need a Google API key. Enter that in the General Settings in the admin panel.

Check out the docs as well:

http://www.phpvms.net/docs

And the tutorials:

hhttp://www.phpvms.net/tutorials