Never trust Microsoft

CrashGordon

I haven't bashed MS in a long time. (a week) That is about to change. icon_mad.gif

I went to the MS online store and got Outlook 2010. I downloqded the 64 bit version, which promptly told me since I had Office 2007 32 bit, I couldn't install it. Gotcha #1. icon_evil.gif

I downloaded the 32 bit version, which refused to install because it thinks I still have one of the prerelease versions installed. I uninstalled it months ago. icon_evil.gif

I would tell Steve Ballmer to go to hell, but hell hasn't caused me any trouble, so why should I bother hell.

• Administrators

I had the same problem on my laptop about the pre-release version garbage. I just started to using Google Apps instead. Funny thing is, I never installed the pre-release version. And funny you post this since I am acquiring a copy of 2010 to see if it's any good. Not that I use it, the only thing which might be remotely valuable to me is Outlook

I had the same problem on my laptop about the pre-release version garbage. I just started to using Google Apps instead. Funny thing is, I never installed the pre-release version. And funny you post this since I am acquiring a copy of 2010 to see if it's any good. Not that I use it, the only thing which might be remotely valuable to me is Outlook

By any chance, did you have the Outlook connector for hotmail and live.com accounts, installed? It turns out, that was the problem here. Google was my friend, in this case.:)

I still am fuming over the 64 bit issue.

• Administrators

By any chance, did you have the Outlook connector for hotmail and live.com accounts, installed? It turns out, that was the problem here. Google was my friend, in this case.:)

I still am fuming over the 64 bit issue.

Did you uninstall the 32 bit?

I only use IMAP, but I will check about those connectors, they may have been inadvertently installed, thanks

The problem is that I have Office 2007 Home and Student, which was only made in 32 bit. As long as it is installed, I can't install the 64 bit Outlook 2010. I have no wish to upgrade office, because what I have is totally adequate. so, I'm stuck using the 32 bit version of Outlook 2010, which, by the way, is pretty good.

• Moderators

Had the same problem here, i was way pissed off that i hate microsoft's best desgin of mind. I shall give them mine. So i had over 5 hours of unstalling the whole micorsoft and resintall with outlook.

Next time, i'm not getting microsoft. I problarly go back to Apple.

One thing that annoys me is that MS doesn't say you can't install the 64 bit version if you already have 32 bit MS Office installed. That is a bad omission. It is also blatantly false. There is no need to have the 64 bit Outlook share anything with the 32 bit MS Office programs.

The other thing that annoys me is that MS, which has all kinds of programming ability, doesn't have their installer say, The following program(s) prevent Outlook 2010 from being installed. Do you wish the installer to remove them?

lol, I have family working in MSFT, I would suggest uninstalling office completely. restart your CPU, then get the version (64 or 32 bit) that your CPU is. It should work.... If not, send me a screenshot and ill see what I can do for ya ;)

I think you missed the point. The only thing I wished to install in 64 bit was Outlook 2010. It found I had Office 2007 32 bit and refused to install.

I have no intention of upgrading my Office Home and Student 2007 to 2010 because I don't use it enough to justify the expense and there haven't been enough changes to interest me.

If I were to remove Office 2007, Install Outlook 2010 and then reinstall Office 2007, I'm not sure what the reaction would be. Frankly, it is too time consuming to try to find out.

You wouldnt reinstall 2007, 2010 has all of it, i would just uninstall 2007, then install 2010. Thats how you have to do it, there isnt a way that I know where you can have both on.

Which part of

I have no wish to upgrade office, because what I have is totally adequate

escaped your attention?

I use Word a couple of times a month. The same with Excel. I hate Powerpoint with an undying passion and never use it. I don't even have much use for Onenote. So why would I spend another $150 to upgrade those applications, especially since they haven't been improved all that much? Outlook, on the other hand, is substantially improved.

I use Word a couple of times a month. The same with Excel. I hate Powerpoint with an undying passion and never use it. I don't even have much use for Onenote. So why would I spend another $150 to upgrade those applications, especially since they haven't been improved all that much? Outlook, on the other hand, is substantially improved.

So why not just uninstall current office and install outlook 2010.. and then if you really need Word/Excel you can get openoffice.

Because Open Office doesn't do either .docx or .xlsx file formats. Even if it did, its appearance is so "Windows 95".:D

From version 3.0 WRITER can also open .docx files created with Microsoft Office 2007 or Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac OS X.
Since version 3.0, CALC has been able to read .xlsx files created with Microsoft Office 2007 or Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac OS X.

Surely you can live with "Windows 95" for a few minutes a couple of times a month in return for Outlook 2010?

• Administrators

You can also use Office Online.

But it makes sense not to be able to mix 32/64 bit versions, even if they are different editions. I'm sure they all use common dependencies. So wait, did you get Outlook working in 32 bit eventually?

You can also use Office Online.

But it makes sense not to be able to mix 32/64 bit versions, even if they are different editions. I'm sure they all use common dependencies. So wait, did you get Outlook working in 32 bit eventually?

Yes. It works quite well. The culprit was the hotmail connector...even though it didn't specifically identify itself as and Outlook 2010 prerelease version. When I changed it to the current version, Outlook 2010 installed without incident. Being able to store email as "conversations", is wonderful. but before someone suggests Thunderbird, let me say that I use so many rules in sorting and dealing with email, that it has choked every version of Thunderbird I've ever tried.

• Administrators

Sounds good. I believe Outlook is the best email app that's available. Didn't 2007 have conversations?

I tried it out - I'm too bonded with Gmail/Google Apps. Though I could get the Outlook Connector for Google Apps, I'm just on too many machines to really move everything.

I am hoping they're going up upgrade us from Outlook 2003 at work.

Sounds good. I believe Outlook is the best email app that's available. Didn't 2007 have conversations?

I tried it out - I'm too bonded with Gmail/Google Apps. Though I could get the Outlook Connector for Google Apps, I'm just on too many machines to really move everything.

I am hoping they're going up upgrade us from Outlook 2003 at work.

If 2007 had the feature, it was so bad I didn't use it in 3 years.:D the thing that drove me nuts with 2007 (and earlier) is they kept placing settings in counterintuitive places. 2010 is a lot better...at least for me.