About updates

JHAir

Hello!

When I downloaded the "update.zip" it also includes files that are not updated (not mentioned in the changelog), so if I upload all these files it will also overwrite files that are modified by me, for example, most of the templates and so on. So it is quite hard work to get everything to work in correct way again. Also when doing this "restore" operation I may also accidentally overwrite some new flies with older backup files, in order to get the site to look like it used to be before the update. So to sum up, at the moment the update caused more problems than solved, for me.

If it is possible, in next update, please DO NOT add files that are not updated, or just let me know if I am doing anything in a wrong way, cause it is clearly stated that "Upload all of the files so your site".

Heigo

Well, like in some of the tutorials, they said....

You want to take allllll of the templates you have make corrections to and or fixed to your lickin and place them into your custom skin folder. and if you have a crystal skin or whatever then copy that folder and change the name of it, upload it with all the templates inside of it and change the theme, once you hvae done that no template should ever! nor your skin ever be changed at all.

And when you upload all those update files to the site it will overwrite them, but not your templates or skin. Just everything that needs to be overwritten, and it would be to complicated to write down everything that needs to not be updated and so on, that would take to much time as well as making download or updates that just have the changes cause some people may need that full update or full install.....sooo..

Hope that helped!

Then you did it wrong, if you need to edit a template, create a new skin folder for it, that wont get updated or overwritten, if you need to edit any of the core/template files, save them into the custom skin folder, phpvms will go to them for the updated ones, and they wont be overwritten.

Cheers

Dan C

Thanks, Ill try it, my mistake entirely, when I started, I just didnt see a reason why to do it so as told.

One more thing with this new, very good feature, called transfer hrs.

We had many pilots with more than 2000 hrs before joining VA and the requirement to be a Captain was at least 2000hrs. So I modified these pilot hrs manually to get all the ratings right. Now I can use this transfer hrs feature for this BUT pilot ranks are related to the "VA hrs". So in conclusion - all captains suddenly became students, cause none of the pilots have flown so much hrs as 2000 in our VA yet.

I would reccomend to relate ratings to total hrs (VA hrs +  transfer hrs as show on the pilots list) or more better - do it so that VA manager can decide ratings by himself (not related to the hrs at all).

Try resetting the hours in the admin panel, it should work, and when they submit a pirep it should correct itself.

Cheers

Dan C

Seems to be not working. Now I noticed this templates notification under the docs section (http://www.phpvms.net/docs/installation#updates). Didnt saw it before, my mistake, did everything basing on thise brief guidelines under the download links.

• Administrators

I will add an option for a supplemental update for this weekend, to chose whether to include transfer hours or not in the ranks decision.

Yup, the templates are separated out when you modify them for updates - sometimes templates are modified in a release, it makes it easier. I list which templates have been changed in the changelog, so you can transfer those changes to your modified templates.

Cheers,