Live Map Heading Idea

wrenchca

Hi Nabeel,

I have an idea that I wanted to float by you.  Would it be possible to extrapolate a rough heading of the flight by taking the present position and comparing it to the intended destination?  If so, adding some extra icons to the image folder, say an icon oriented for every five degree increment and then calling up the appropriate icon to display on the map.  It would not be perfect since it would always want to point to the lat and long of the destination while you are sitting at the gate.

There is just something that doesn't seem right flying from Vancouver to Miami in reverse.  At one time, I was with a VA that had FSAcars and Google maps using this technique and it worked quite well.  I believe though that they had the icons at one degree increments.

Just thinking out loud! ;D

Chuck

CYXU

P.S. If you want, I can see if I can get some of the code for you to examine.

• Administrators

I had thought of that, but never got time to look into it, or delve into some math books and find the equation to get an angle between two coordinates on a sphere. If you have code, that sounds good :D

Probably won't be for this release, but I don't see why not for the next one.