Fuel Calculations

TAV1702

Hi Nabeel. I know this has been fixed and kicked up and put back to rest soooooo many times, but, none the less, I must kick a dead dog back to life yet again.

I just did a flight from KLAX-KMCI in a B767  In the ACARS log, it shows me using 41148 lbs of fuel. So I sent my pirep, go in to accept it, and look and it says I used 41148 gallons of fuel. I do have all my stuff set to gallons, but apparently ACARS does not see it that way.

So I plugged the correct info in to the pirep and submitted my change and it actually went from loosing 131,00 some odd Dollars that flight to an actual profit.

This is a major problem the way I see it. I have been tracking fuel for around 2 months now on my site and we ( 5 test pilots ) fly all the time and the VA financial wise is all but bankrupt from fuel cost alone.  Our only option at this time is to NOT use ACARS at all unless I have missed a key setting somewhere.

As far as Xacars goes, I am not sure about it. I only have 1 guy testing with it atm. I can dig up the numbers from there and see if any outrageous fuel uses have been logged.

V 819

php5.2.x

Version 2.0.819

Acars Version 4.15 updated

Yeah I am more than positive it was fixed though prior to this post. But for some reason, when sending in that pirep, it is charging me for pounds and not gallons. 

I wasn't sure how accurate my numbers were when I posted the first time, So I went back and triple checked my config file, Looked at the Acars log for fuel, and the number used in the text file matched perfectly to what it charged me for in the Admin panel of website. The funny part is, in the admin panel of the website, when editing the pirep, under the fuel used area, it specifically says Gallons Used bust shows the amount of punds from the ACARS log.  ;D

I have tweaked and pinched and poked on my site until I was blue in the face, but no admin tpl's or php files have ever been touched. Could there possibly be something in the change log related to this that I failed to do?

• Administrators

There's a setting in the fsacars_config.tpl which I just noticed actually:

UnitSystem=GB

I'm assuming that means great britain. I'll have to check out their docs once I get a chance, I think I over looked that setting from the local.config perspective

I don't have the manual, but in the SDK docs, in the fsacars settings, there is an option to change the unit. Did you use that?

Most likely not.  :-[  I always tell my kids, " Directions are your friends. They tell you what to do"  I should take my own advice eh?  I'll go have a look at this. Thanks again Nabeel. Will come back and mark it solved if infact this is what is the problem. Are these Docs we are discussing included with ACARS? I want to be sure I am looking in the correct place.  ;D

BUT, it has been reported to me that XAcars has to be manually changed every time a pirep is submitted as well due to the fact that it will only report in lbs. Might it be a wise idea for me in the long run to switch over to pounds instead?

• Administrators

Most likely not.  :-[  I always tell my kids, " Directions are your friends. They tell you what to do"  I should take my own advice eh?  I'll go have a look at this. Thanks again Nabeel. Will come back and mark it solved if infact this is what is the problem. Are these Docs we are discussing included with ACARS? I want to be sure I am looking in the correct place.  ;D

BUT, it has been reported to me that XAcars has to be manually changed every time a pirep is submitted as well due to the fact that it will only report in lbs. Might it be a wise idea for me in the long run to switch over to pounds instead?

It's always in lbs, but I've fixed in the latest ones that it will do the proper conversion to your local units from lbs

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Ok I'm back on this again. I read the manual to ACARS and I do not find anywhere to set the fuel to pounds or anything else. I found everything but.  Oh well, I will get it hashed out in the long run I'm sure.

In FSACARS it's under options, it's not there?

I didn't see it, but I will go look again. I'm willing to bet the farm that  that is my fuel issue.  ;)

I am going to a buddies house tonight to pop open a couple of my home brews and play some Wii for a while. I'll get back on this in the morn...... If I don't feel to rough that is.

Happy New Year!

Ray

• 2 weeks later...

Ok man, this is really aching my back side bad. If I go ahead and change my site to accept pounds like ACARS insists on reporting, will it convert the correct price per gallon then?

Example below,

04:25 Final Fuel: 10533 Lbls

04:25 Spent Fuel: 14030 Lbls

That is what ACARS sent to my site in the log. In the edit pirep section of admin before accepting it, it wanted to charge me for 14030 gallons  The flight in question lost 35k. When I fixed it to calculate how many gallons I burned, it went into a + income for the flight.

I have looked until I was blue in the face and I for the life of me can not find anywhere to make FS ACARS report in gallons and not pounds.

I was thinking that since I have the config on my website set to gallons, that it would convert that pounds to gallons and then put that number in the pirep. Wrong!!!  ;D

Easy fix, just change my config to pounds and go with that instead? It appears that I am going to have to manually alter each pirep that is filed with FSACARS and that is just not an option.

Open for suggestions, questions, and/or comments at this time.

Ray