Dedicated Hosting Suggestions

TennShadow

• Administrators

I went from shared to a dedicated with hostdime.com and have been happy, they have great support. I currently have 7 domains on it and it is still quick.

I think Nabeel has used site5 for hosting, not sure if dedicated or shared.

Linode.com is another option that I have been messing with, the catch is that you have to compile all the code to run your own server but you have root access and a good support structure.

• Administrators

I didn't know much about it either, but Linode has some great step-by-step guides. I was at Slicehost before Linode, and they also have great guides, so you can use the two to get through it. 99% of it is all automated, with no manual compiling at all. It's literally just calling:

sudo apt-get apache2 php5-cli php5-cgi php5-common mysql mysql-dev

And bam, apache, php and mysql are all installed, and you just have to go through the same configurations as windows. Obviously, you need to setup SSH/firewall, etc, but that's all covered in the guides and it's too difficult to do.

• Administrators

Yep, the 360 is a good one. I'm on one 360 for all the front-end stuff, and a 512 as my database server. One 360 is more than enough though, I have a separate 512 because of all the data and number crunching I need to do for vacentral and all

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrators

If I were you, I'd shop around. I've never used Linode but for the prices I would expect a little more space and bandwidth.

Their prices are really good, especially since they are priced for what you really would get. There's also Slicehost (by rackspace), where I used to be hosted, but they didn't have 32 bit images, and linode is a bit cheaper.

Good dedicated hosts start around 80-100 a month. I like VPS over dedicated, since for a site like this, it doesn't make a difference.

• 1 year later...

Nabeel, I've used Linode myself in the past, but never for a phpVMS install. Our current host, mediatemple (gs), seems to be having drama with the amount of database calls between kACARS and phpVMS.

So I'm considering moving our site to Linode but would like to know if you feel a linode 512 is sufficient for a forum and a phpvms install to run alongside each other without issues. I see this website is hosted on linode still, but I don't know if you've plugged a couple linodes together or what. I've only had our site on mediatemple a little over a month, so don't want to move again and find out it won't work. I can't afford to keep both running concurrently, as otherwise I'd try adding the phpvms first then the forum when I'm comfortable it works fine.

• Moderators

Nabeel, I've used Linode myself in the past, but never for a phpVMS install. Our current host, mediatemple (gs), seems to be having drama with the amount of database calls between kACARS and phpVMS.

So I'm considering moving our site to Linode but would like to know if you feel a linode 512 is sufficient for a forum and a phpvms install to run alongside each other without issues. I see this website is hosted on linode still, but I don't know if you've plugged a couple linodes together or what. I've only had our site on mediatemple a little over a month, so don't want to move again and find out it won't work. I can't afford to keep both running concurrently, as otherwise I'd try adding the phpvms first then the forum when I'm comfortable it works fine.

Linode is fine, i have been on them for nearly 2 years now, i started off with the 512 with no problems what so ever.

We settled on Nabeel's own Fivedev.net, mainly to indirectly support phpVMS by purchasing from Nabeel but also to take advantage of the great price to performance ratio provided. It is clearly optimized to run phpVMS installs and setup was a breeze. I've got my entire site transferred in under 24 hours (with less than 4 hours actual work, the rest was sleep and waiting on domain name to propagate).

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

We settled on Nabeel's own Fivedev.net, mainly to indirectly support phpVMS by purchasing from Nabeel but also to take advantage of the great price to performance ratio provided. It is clearly optimized to run phpVMS installs and setup was a breeze. I've got my entire site transferred in under 24 hours (with less than 4 hours actual work, the rest was sleep and waiting on domain name to propagate).

Thanks! :)

Re: Linode - phpVMS (site, forums), vaCentral (main site and API server), and my main site are hosted off of a Linode 512. They're great machines, and awesome service. It's held up amazing, especially with the amount of traffic and data going to the API.

Thanks for the update Nabeel, that's what I thought. I have used them before and setting up was as simple as following their guides, including hardening the security and setting up firewalls, etc. I didn't have much linux experience back then, but it was still easy enough to do and I enjoyed the learning curve.

With your hosting we are running great, but we do still have the same issue with kACARS throwing an error, which seems to be down to the size of the airport table. Which is a shame, as we enjoyed having the full 23600+ airports and a huge navigation table, but have since cut the navdata table and removed all <4 alphanumeric airports. This has all but stopped the errors, so it was the issue seemingly. I just don't know where to start to chase down any inefficient code, or other issue that might cause this problem. I do wonder how sites such as Phoenix seemingly run great on FiveDev with all the bells and whistles running while our little corner of the net struggled with this until we did what I mentioned above.

• Administrators

What's the error?

I know Phoenix have done a ton of custom work, and have a ton of custom code/replaced code running. They've helped me optimize problem sections of phpVMS quite a bit (areas that are had to see any inefficient code until you're around their size)

Guest lorathon

The problem was that kACARS was timing out when attempting to get the airports from the site. If you wish to keep all 23,000+ airports I would write a custom script to only send the airports that actually have a schedule attached to them. That way you are not sending all of those airports (which is really a waste of time since the application looks for schedules)

• 4 weeks later...