Marquee Anyone?

TAV1702

Has anyone ever made a marquee for phpVMS that automatically pulls data from the database?

Say for example, I hit my mark and gain a new rank. It would add it to todays marquee and say

Congrats TAV0001 for recent promotion to Captain..............Happy 45th Birthday Oscar the Grouch........Congrats TAV0001 on your 1 year anniversay

I used to belong to a va ( Livewire Airlines) that actually has something like that. I enquired about it once and they told me in simple words that it runs a cron or something of the such and querys the database for new updated info that is preset and inserts it when necessary.

It would NOT need to pull every single little detail. Simply  Ranks, Bdays, website anniversarys, and stuff like that. 

It would NOT need to insert the fact that a pirep was just filed or anything like that. We allready have all that info available from page. To add it to the marquee would just be redundant.

Just a thought about a nifty addon.

Ray

Yeah man that is cool. I had that part under control.  lol  I was meaning that ti would pull the data right out of the database automatically. Manual updating every day would suck real bad.  I guess it would need to run as a cron job and query the database and insert info automagically  ;)

But yeah that is pretty dam nice. The site looks great.

actually what you guys are looking for is some kinda rss stream. there are several readers and stuff, just google a bit and you maybe find something suitable  ;)

or you take the code below (<marquee behavior="scroll" direction="up" align="bottom" scrolldelay="150" onmouseover="this.stop();" onmouseout="this.start();">PUT WHAT EVER YOU WANT HERE</marquee>) and then make some <?php echo "MYSQLREQUEST OR SOMETHING" ?> in it where you just get the content of the news for example

If you want an idea of what I am referring to, you can visit http://www.livewireairlines.com and log in as a demo user. As soon as you do, you will notice a marquee at the top above the nav. I have been a member there for a good while now, but the owner has fallen ill or had a stroke or something like that and only gets on from time to time so I have no way of finding out how he pulls this info I am after.

That site is NOT phpVMS though. It is all his own code. Some cool stuff there, but the VA 10 years later is kind of stale.

• Administrators

Is this an idea of what you are thinking of - This will welcome your newest pilot...

<?php $newpilot = PilotData::getLatestPilots(1); ?>
            <marquee>Welcome Our Newest Pilot:
                <?php
                    foreach ($newpilot as $pilot)
                                {
                                    echo $pilot->firstname.' '.$pilot->lastname.' ('.PilotData::getPilotCode($pilot->code, $pilot->pilotid).')';
                                }
                ?>
            </marquee>

It should be streamlined a bit but I just threw it together as an example.

You could use a similar function to pull the newest news post title or the like as well.

• 3 months later...

Is this an idea of what you are thinking of - This will welcome your newest pilot...

<?php
                                {
                                    echo $pilot->firstname.' '.$pilot->lastname.' ('.PilotData::getPilotCode($pilot->code, $pilot->pilotid).')';
                                }
                ?>
            </marquee>

You could use a similar function to pull the newest news post title or the like as well.

Hey it looks great, but where do I put the code, I am on PHPVMS, does it work for PHPVMS?

Many Thanks,

Matthew

<?php
                                {
                                }
                ?>
            </marquee>

looks great on my sie :)